Suitable flash bracket for outdoors shooting

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I know many use Wimberley gimbal setup with a dedicated flash bracket when shooting with long lenses on a tripod, however when off the tripod and more mobile have any here got suggestions on a strong, durable and light flash bracket to hold the flash up so that when its used with the better beamer one does not end up with eye problems on the animals in pictures.

I have used a cheap ebay option in the past though build and overall metal quality were sadly lacking.

Flash brackets seem to be almost a thing of the past. I wish that I had kept one or two of the dozens that I used to use with my old gear. Have you thought about making your own? Rob a cold shoe off of some piece of unused kit in the 'spares' box and bend some 6061 flat stock to suit.

They do seem to have died a death against the likes of plastic tupperware. Most I see are either old ones or cheap ebay makes - and sadly the latter tend to be a bit flimsy - maybe good designs but cheap metals make for wobbly brackets (which are darned annoying to use).

Sadly custom making one myself isn't easily on the cards - I'm living in a 2 room flat at present and don't really have any metal working tools/experience to make something up. If I had tools+materials+time I probably could do it - its just not having the ready base to work from.
I do have an uncle I might ask who has metalworking tools/experience - failing finding anything suitable on the market.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I suggest a 7' to 9' light stand and a flash bracket on it. They are lightweight, their foot print is not that big. Not too hard to carry around as they are realy compact (smaller than a tripod).

I do something similer but little more costly. I use a MF sized strobaframe quick flip with my 35mm DSLR's. What I do different is I have attached a Manfrotto quick disconnect holder to the Strobaframe where the camera would normally screw to. On the bottom of the strobaframe I have attached a QR plate. So the Strobaframe is quick attachment to the tripod. And the camera is on a quick disconnect to the Strobaframe as well. I have a 9' light stand with mini-ball joint head on it. And of course the head has the corresponding holder for the QR plates. So within 10-15 seconds I can dismount the Strobaframe and have it on a light stand. And the camera back on the tripod or handheld.

So for my set up I used 1 QR plate holder, 3- QR plates, 1 ball head for the corresponding QR plate, 1 tripod with head for use with QR plate, 1 9' light stand. I have wireless (oncamera, or wireless trigger,) and SC cables (Nikon system). Everything I have is Manfrotto using the small rectangular QR plates (3157's).

I already had the heads and extra plates. I only had to buy the plate holders which were only about $35 if I remember. I bought a couple of them when I had a chance. Works really quick and sturdy.

I suggest a 7' to 9' light stand and a flash bracket on it. They are lightweight, their foot print is not that big. Not too hard to carry around as they are realy compact (smaller than a tripod).

I do something similer but little more costly. I use a MF sized strobaframe quick flip with my 35mm DSLR's. What I do different is I have attached a Manfrotto quick disconnect holder to the Strobaframe where the camera would normally screw to. On the bottom of the strobaframe I have attached a QR plate. So the Strobaframe is quick attachment to the tripod. And the camera is on a quick disconnect to the Strobaframe as well. I have a 9' light stand with mini-ball joint head on it. And of course the head has the corresponding holder for the QR plates. So within 10-15 seconds I can dismount the Strobaframe and have it on a light stand. And the camera back on the tripod or handheld.

So for my set up I used 1 QR plate holder, 3- QR plates, 1 ball head for the corresponding QR plate, 1 tripod with head for use with QR plate, 1 9' light stand. I have wireless (oncamera, or wireless trigger,) and SC cables (Nikon system). Everything I have is Manfrotto using the small rectangular QR plates (3157's).

I already had the heads and extra plates. I only had to buy the plate holders which were only about $35 if I remember. I bought a couple of them when I had a chance. Works really quick and sturdy.

Nice rig! I will sometimes carry a lightstand also... and an extra speedlight /PW for it. All depends on what I am shooting! Also carry velcro starps for mounting the flash/PW on branches, fences.. or anywhere else it might handy!

The Strobaframe looks interesting and the idea with quick release plates is good too!

I have got plans to add a more serious lighting setup to what I shoot with - some light stands, one or two more flashes as well as maybe one of these kind of units Safari Li-on Portable Flash System - Lencarta for a more powerful mobile lighting setup.
Any recommendations (since we are talking about them) on light stands? Whilst not that suitable with the better beamers (which need to be angled right to light the pinpoint of the subject) I could certainly see them working well with macro and other subjects - at present my regular tripod gets used more for that!

The Strobaframe looks interesting and the idea with quick release plates is good too!

I have got plans to add a more serious lighting setup to what I shoot with - some light stands, one or two more flashes as well as maybe one of these kind of units Safari Li-on Portable Flash System - Lencarta for a more powerful mobile lighting setup.
Any recommendations (since we are talking about them) on light stands? Whilst not that suitable with the better beamers (which need to be angled right to light the pinpoint of the subject) I could certainly see them working well with macro and other subjects - at present my regular tripod gets used more for that!

I just made sure my "outdoor" lightstand was aluminum.. to make sure there was no rusting steel! :) Cant remember the brand.. Smith-Victor, maybe? :) Base gets wet a good bit.

Thanks, Overread. I have asked similar question several times and either been ignored, or answered with something that didn't really relate. Some of this discussion has been very helpful.

They do seem to have died a death against the likes of plastic tupperware. Most I see are either old ones or cheap ebay makes - and sadly the latter tend to be a bit flimsy - maybe good designs but cheap metals make for wobbly brackets (which are darned annoying to use).

Sadly custom making one myself isn't easily on the cards - I'm living in a 2 room flat at present and don't really have any metal working tools/experience to make something up. If I had tools+materials+time I probably could do it - its just not having the ready base to work from.
I do have an uncle I might ask who has metalworking tools/experience - failing finding anything suitable on the market.

If you cant find it then make it. If you cant make it the find someone who can. If you can make it good you might have a product you can market because there is probably someone else with the same problem.

Thanks, Overread. I have asked similar question several times and either been ignored, or answered with something that didn't really relate. Some of this discussion has been very helpful.

Baturn... I'm sorry to hear you didn't get replies! I guess I missed those!

Thanks. Wasn't meant to be acomplaint, just an explanation of why I appreciate this thread. The questions I posed earlier were within other folks threads ,which probably explains it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back