Sun and beyond

Jelinekjava415

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What kind of photos have you guys taken with the sun in the background? How can you make a great photo when you have to shot one with the sun there? Here are some that I took.....

551008_3967984440325_1301859547_3678742_1763867484_n.jpg

542016_3967965519852_1301859547_3678719_715359502_n.jpg

How can you make a great photo when you have to shot one with the sun there?
Expose for the background you want, then use fill flash to light the subject in front of that properly exposed background.

Use shutter speed to adjust exposure levels of the ambient light (background), and use aperture, flash strength and flash to subject distance to dial in the flash level.

How can you make a great photo when you have to shot one with the sun there?
Expose for the background you want, then use fill flash to light the subject in front of that properly exposed background.

Use shutter speed to adjust exposure levels of the ambient light (background), and use aperture, flash strength and flash to subject distance to dial in the flash level.

Thanks for the tips. :) I need all the help I can get.

Sorry to jack the thread but after you meter for the sky, and then take your first shot, say the people or subject is too bright, you must change both the shutter speed and the aperature to keep the sky correctly exposed am i correct? like 1 up 1 down?

Sorry to jack the thread but after you meter for the sky, and then take your first shot, say the people or subject is too bright, you must change both the shutter speed and the aperature to keep the sky correctly exposed am i correct? like 1 up 1 down?

All the numbers and Camera words are all new to me. I just go out of my box a bit each day and try new things. Such as the sun behind the people.

Yeah, you're going to have to use a few frames to dial it in, unless you just get lucky or get good enough with your tools to hit it on the first try.

Example: After you get dialed in for the first time just the way you want it, make note of ALL your settings, including how close your flash is to the subject and where it's positioned. Next time you have to set up in a situation like that, if you use the same settings including that distance to subject, it should put your right back in that "all good" slot.

We do the same thing in the studio with our favorite setups for certain looks. Little bits of tape on the floor are common because they give us a way to easily recreate where things were positioned in a previous setup that we liked. Little cards hanging from studio heads with notes about distance to subject and power output levels are handy too. It's a game of math - and inches.

Most reactions

Back