Sun causing a problem

brudawn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Other than shooting this picture at a different time of day, say early evening, how would you take this shot?

Umbrella to block the sun?

Would using a flash be effective enough?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

sh8122006529-1.jpg

Yes, using flash would have really helped. Or even a reflector to get some light back onto the front of them. Still, that bright spot on her face would be a problem. Using something to block the sun would help but if you could have arranged them so that they had no bright spots...that would make things easier.

Shooting in the middle of the day, is rarely good...especially when shooting people. If you can wait for better light, that would certainly help.

In this case, moving her out of that bit of direct sun and using flash would really make a difference.

b.t.w. Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't use anything to block the sun, it would make the shot look false. Try and at least get their faces in more even light, the speckled light doesn't help as you seem to mention. Using a flash would help to even up the lighting, though unless I'm getting old, you have used a flash. I can tell by the shadow from it on the Smiths block thing.

I personally think that Mister Weir might be suffering from getting old cause I can't see any indication of flash. But then again I would be considered a newb.

And as for a suggestion. Had you been taking this image over at the exact same moment that you took this one, I would have you consider having her facing left instead of right and letting her hair take the brunt of the speckled sunlight.

Aside from that, I would wait for better lighting, sunrise/set, or light overcast.

EXIF indicates the flash was fired. I am very impressed philip, that alone has humbled me greatly... I obviously have so much more to learn because I, like the person before me, could see no indication of a flash. After you had mentioned flash I look back and notice it somewhat in his glasses, but still nothing on the block.

I didn't see the flash the first time through, but once I Mr. Weir mentioned it, indeed there is a very faint 'shadow' of the lady on the fellow behind her. (You can especially tell on his pants)

My best advice. Follow the people who have already commented :)

Haha...

Mr. Weir 1 DVJLabonte 0

I too and truly impressed that you spotted that without the EXIF data.

Philip Weir said:
Thanks guys. I might be getting old, but maybe that's what age can do for you. When I looked at the direction the sun was coming from, some shadows didn't ring true and I could pick up a reflection in the glasses.

www.philipweirphotography.com

Getting old??? lets refer to it as growing wise. :lol: Not that it matters to me, Im only 19.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back