sun glare on picture of still water

skulhedface

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so apparently the picture size is too large to upload so... my problem is that when i am taking a picture of still water but the reflection of the sun is causing large areas of the photo to become overexposed and leaving a mist like look. any ideas if i could reduce this with a filter (and which one i would need), or if it could be post edited out with photoshop?

Resize the image before uploading. Use 600-800 pixels on the long dimension as a guide.

Or just save a copy at a reduced Quality setting in the Save dialog box to lower the file size.

Any large bright light source in a photo will cause the same situation. Most of the 'mist' is caused inside the lens, and is essentially lens flare that fills the image frame.

Yes, the mist can be somewhat mitigated with editing.

$IMG_0342.JPG

That's not glare. That's a reflection. And the reflection is the out-of-focus trees in the background.

But using a circular polarizer will work.

Yep, that's just reflection.
Using a circular polarizing (CPL) filter will help to an extent that is dependent on the angles involved.
If the water is shallow, using a CPL may make the bottom of the pool visible causing a different kind of distraction from your subject.

thanks for the info, i will see if the cpl will help

Yeah the CP will make it less intense but leave it there, and as said angle is everything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back