Sun Photos: What is this called?

lisaf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just started learning about exposure. I've been using the auto functions since I got the camera in the spring. I took my first set the speed, ISO, etc photos this weekend, trying out different settings to see how they looked, along with some auto ones for comparison.

It was a really bright, sunny, clear day. Does anyone know what the blurb of colors in the first one of the sun is? And what causes it? My favorite ones of the bunch were a reflective lake and some sort of sparkle effect on the light reflecting on the lake.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 179
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 152
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 169
"Sunstars". aka "sunbursts" here you go, an entire web article devoted to discussing them, and detailing what causes them.

Sunstars

The 'blurb of colors' is called lens flare. Lens flare is cause by reflections internal to the lens that occur when a small bright light source is in or near the image frame.

The sparkle effect is indeed light reflecting on the small waves and ripples on the surface of the lake.

Thanks! Good to know it's called a lens flare. I was wondering if that was supposed to be there or not. When the weather conditions are the same, I'll have to try it again. While I kind of like the effect it had, I do want to be able to make the choice of whether or not to add that. Right now, it's kind of cloudy/overcast. I'll probably go to the same park tomorrow if it's not raining and see what the light conditions are.

Most reactions

Back