Sunrise in Maine - C&C

mosu84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a trip up to Maine this weekend, and I got up early to see if I could take advantage of the morning light. I've got about 200 more pictures to go through, but here is the first one that I liked.

3300717852_733f22c3e9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice capture. Did you want everything to be soft like that?

I was going to say, it looks a bit out of focus.

Other than that it's a fantastic image IMO.

I think it being soft works here, it makes me feel like its out of a dream.

Is this a HDR image?

What kind of post processing work did you do to this image (if any)?

Yeah that is HDR. I took multiple (5) exposures because I couldn't get any detail on the rocks without sacrificing the sky. Here is a quick non-HDR blend I did of the exposures. The moon is screwed up in this one. The only post processing I've done so far is run the exposures through Photomatix

3301170178_e381ae9345_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that is HDR.
Wow, I'm impressed. I never would have guessed it was a HDR edit. And I think that's how HDR should be done, so that the viewer doesn't know it's HDR. Good job.

Oh yeah, I like the softness of the shot too...was wondering if you added a light blur effect during post processing.

love it, good work.

out of curiosity what do you use to merge them all? just photoshop or something else?

Wow, I'm impressed. I never would have guessed it was a HDR edit. And I think that's how HDR should be done, so that the viewer doesn't know it's HDR. Good job.

Oh yeah, I like the softness of the shot too...was wondering if you added a light blur effect during post processing.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like the shot. The two biggest problems I've run into with this shot is that the rotating light had a weird effect on the top of the light house and the moon moved slightly in between exposures.

love it, good work.

out of curiosity what do you use to merge them all? just photoshop or something else?

For the HDR I use photomatix. Sometimes I also use it for exposure blends when I'm in a hurry or if I have more than 2 or 3 exposures -- if I only have 2 or 3 I will usually just do it in photoshop

Amazing capture.

I think how the focus is so soft, it sort of gives that feeling of peace, and tranquility.

Nice shot!

I do have a question though..
I searched wikipedia to get the general idea of "HDR" images, but I am still kind of confused!

First off, I'm guessing you would need to use a tripod for it, is that correct? so then all of the pictures would be near, or exactly the same positioning?

Second, did the original poster take a picture of the ice on the cliffs when there was more natural light, and use that for the final image, and the used the frame with the sunrise he liked for the final image also?

what exactly would the process be? Is there a guide on here? (I did try to search for one)

Thanks

Last edited:
I lightened your non-HDR photo that you posted above... took 2 min in lightroom with fill light:

lighthouse.jpg

btw... I think your HDR looks beautiful. Very Nice job. I wish I was there...

I really like that shot nice work.....

Most reactions

Back