Sunset at the Lake. Please Critique.

Jamie1989

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone. I took some photos at the lake the other night. Thought I would share some of them. I know there not the best so please critique. Thanks. :D

$IMG_20140614_225416.jpg
$IMG_20140614_230046.jpg
$IMG_20140611_215249.jpg
$IMG_20140614_230320.jpg
$IMG_20140611_235921.jpg

I have Zero talent as far as landscapes and similar shots are concerned, but from what I can see these are pretty damn good. I like the first one the best, maybe the vignetting is a touch too much. Cool shots Jamie. :)

I like the 4th one the best... its amazing the colors...

It is difficult to offer constructive criticism on several pictures in a single post. Overall, however, this is what I think:

• In landscape photography, pictures tend to look better when the horizon is horizontal (i.e. straight). Use a tripod and a small bubble level mounted on your hot shoe. Alternatively, use the electronic level of your camera if it is so equipped.

• Having such a bright spot (the sun) in the middle of the frame does not work for me. Wait for the sun to be lower so that it is not so bright. Also, you usually get better colours in the sky when the sun is lower.

• The compositions arenot very interesting. There is not much to look at apart from the sun and its reflection in the water. Try to add some elements in the foreground to keep the viewer interested. Look at the work of landscape photographers such as Joe Cornish to see what I mean.

I hope this is useful.

I like them, I just wish the sun wasn't too ... firebally and bright. really put me off what I liked about them.

But that's just me!

I'm no expert but I thought the symmetry and glassy texture of the last one was stunning.

Sunset shots can be so pretty but they're a dime a dozen. You need to find a way to make them unique/tell a story.
The only one that does anything for me is the first one. The dock adds a storyline to the sunset.
30 Sunset photography tips
Keep shooting!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back