naughtybunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new in this forum.

Please give some advice for this photo.

371553356_a9f79313be_b.jpg

My only advice is to double check your lines...get the horizon straight.

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice scene you captured - beautiful colours and reflection in the water. I like how the dock in the foreground and the snowcapped mountain in the background have detail and are not mere silhouettes. MaxBloom is right, though, that the horizon/waterline slopes from left to right across the picture. That's an easy fix with photoshop.

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice scene you captured - beautiful colours and reflection in the water. I like how the dock in the foreground and the snowcapped mountain in the background have detail and are not mere silhouettes. MaxBloom is right, though, that the horizon/waterline slopes from left to right across the picture. That's an easy fix with photoshop.

Thanks for all critiques -:)

First, I can't afford photoshop because I get a free software from GNU, called gimp. It's the OpenSource counterpart of photoshop.

I adjust the photo vertically to let the pole of pier stand perpendicular to virtual horizon line. So this trick doesn't work? But if I adjust the waterline, how to deal with the pole of pier?

It seems you cut off part of the most important aspect of the photo. Also, the actual composition of it is nice, but I don't especially love how the picture is slightly slanted to the right. Or maybe that's just me?

It seems you cut off part of the most important aspect of the photo. Also, the actual composition of it is nice, but I don't especially love how the picture is slightly slanted to the right. Or maybe that's just me?

I review the picture again. It is sure with horizon problems. I guess the overall is more important than individual objects because viewers seldom pay attention to them. I've adjust. This time I think it should be fine.

376197505_fa2859098e_b.jpg

Picasa is the easiest program to use for straightening pictures in my experience. I'm not sure if GIMP does it.

Picasa is the easiest program to use for straightening pictures in my experience. I'm not sure if GIMP does it.

Sure it's easy to do it with Picasa.

With gimp, it's easy too. Besides, gimp is very powerful. It supports layer, many tools and many filters. There are many plug ins you can free down load to make your work easy. One of the examples is the noise reduction plug in. The mat and frame added in my picture is also done with one of the plug ins. If you are a DIY, you can write plug in by yourself without steep learning curve because plug ins can be written in script. It is an OpenSource software, so everyone can contribute to it, i.e. you can see the source code, understand in depth how it works, modify it and make it better. So gimp is not just a software, it's a community. One most important thing about gimp, I think it will make the commercial software vendors provide better products for us and charge us less because of competition.

looks much better with the horizon straightened, you hardly notice the poles on the dock not being perfectly vertical, but it's glaringly obvious the water in the lake if falling out of the right side of the screen :)

i also like the frame you've added :)

my only other comment is that if you had exposed for the sky, you'd have a little more detail and color inthe sky/water. the rest of the image would have been darker, but you could always enhance that later on in post production.

looks much better with the horizon straightened, you hardly notice the poles on the dock not being perfectly vertical, but it's glaringly obvious the water in the lake if falling out of the right side of the screen :)

i also like the frame you've added :)

my only other comment is that if you had exposed for the sky, you'd have a little more detail and color inthe sky/water. the rest of the image would have been darker, but you could always enhance that later on in post production.

For this, as what I understand, the picture needs wider dynamic range. So I adjust by curving because I can't go back and take another one. Then merge both together. Now this is another version.

378028768_566332bd74_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back