Sunset on the River C&C would be awesome!

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I struggle a lot with landscapes. I have taken about a bazillion shots of the river/sunset here and I can't seem to come out with something I'm happy with. I can't seem to figure out compositions and my eye always travels around and won't rest in the shots I take. I'm getting closer on the exposures though.
This one I'm relatively happy with, my eye travels in a circle in this one but still don't feel like it is quite there.
C&C would be greatly appreciated!

It's tilted. Use the reflections close to the horizontal middle of the frame to use as a straightening guide. It's also kind of dark and kind of soft. I'd opt for a bit more saturation on an image like this as well, but that's just my taste.

I played a little in Photoshop with it, and here's what I came up with:

7261607142_6722a2e298_b-640.jpg

Thank you Buckster! I like your saturation much better than mine, the blue is much less muddy.
Crooked, ugh, so many horizontals up river at different spots, thanks for the tip :)
I bracketed these shots so when I'm editing later I'll check for a brighter/sharper shot.

what kind of landscape shots are you looking for? Classic painting style vistas or a near far composition with lots of depth? Figuring that out could help you set up shots.

Thanks Spacefuzz! I've stared at the river many times and always end up kinda randomly setting up the shots, and it is never with a specific purpose.  This might help selecting a shot and working specifically at that :)

Hi Pixel, although there is no easy answer to this question, one thing that may help you is to look for foreground interests. This will add depth to your picture, and keep something for the eye to see near and far.

Hey Rotanimod :) Great suggestion! I definitely need a specific purpoe in mind, being random like I have been sure isn't working. I end up trying to fit it all in and obviously that does not work lol

Judi, nice effort. Buckster is right on the mark about where you went wrong, and how to correct it. He's edit makes a world of difference. Rotanimod, suggestion of looking for foreground interest, is my 1st goal with landscapes, sunsets, and sunrises. A lack luster foreground practically always dooms the success of any landscape, no matter time of day. In your photo that rock wall and tree is enough interest to invite the viewer into the scene.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back