Sunset Over the River

mswiech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some shots I took last night. Had to stop and get some pics. The sky was a nice purplish red hue to it while it was setting. All photos were shot RAW as well on a Tripod with a 50mm/f1.8. Pleas let me know what you think, and provide the good, the bad and the ugly. The 2 & 3 photos I was aiming at trying to get the reflection in the water, but with the speed of the River moving the Ice chucks were floating around like crazy. Looking forward.

Camera Nikon D3100
Exposure 30secs
Aperture f/22.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Mode Manual
PP was done in LR 3.3 to fix clarity and contrast.

Across the River by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D3100
Exposure 25secs
Aperture f/22.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Mode Manual

Bridge Reflection on the Water by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D3100
Exposure 6
Aperture f/22.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Mode Manual

Sunset over Ambassador Bridge by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

I like #2 the best. Awesome reflection shot

C&C per your request.

#1: I think the colors are the best on this one. The seem, to me anyway, to most accurate representation of what I would expect to see if I were there in person. I like the silhouetted town but I think it's just a tad too centered. I think if might serve the balance of the photo a but more if you cropped off about half the water.

#2: I think the darker background kinda swallows the bridge leaving just the lights as the focal point. Perhaps that's what you were going for, though. Not really sure what to do about it. Perhaps an HDR to bring more light on the bridge?

#3: I think the colors seemed a bit too much over-processed. I also think the reflections you were trying to keep in the frame, the ones in the water, don't stand out enough to try to use them as a focal point. I think if you cropped at least two thirds of the water, and adjusted and desaturated the colors a little it would be even better.

Over all, I think they were well done. they just need a few tweaks to get them even better.

Good luck and keep shooting!

Thanks for the comments. I will take that into account for future ones. Cheers.

just got my 3100 today! I'm excited to see the potential. I am loving those pics.

just got my 3100 today! I'm excited to see the potential. I am loving those pics.

Thanks. You will have fun with it...hopefully you have better glass. Those shots were taken with a 50mm f1.8. Next lens is the 35mm f1.8. Show some pics when you have some.

Nice shots! I was hesitating looking at the thread as I was thinking they were going to be just some other sunset images.

But I do like them.

1- I dig the silhouette, adds something fun to the image. The colours of the sky are outstanding. As commented, I'd probably crop out a tad of the water as well to put more emphasis on the dramatic sky. It seems a tad dark as well in the corners, heavy vignette?

2 and 3 - nice subject and awesome reflections. Nice to see different times of day and processing on a similar subject. On both, I feel that the image is lacking a bit on the left with the bridge being incomplete. I dont know which of the two I prefer. I love the pillar reflection and what almost looks like clouds in the water in the second, but I much prefer the crop of the first. The second is too tight up top for my tastes. Landscapes need to have room to breath.

Great job though, I enjoyed looking at them

Nice shots! I was hesitating looking at the thread as I was thinking they were going to be just some other sunset images.

But I do like them.

1- I dig the silhouette, adds something fun to the image. The colours of the sky are outstanding. As commented, I'd probably crop out a tad of the water as well to put more emphasis on the dramatic sky. It seems a tad dark as well in the corners, heavy vignette?

2 and 3 - nice subject and awesome reflections. Nice to see different times of day and processing on a similar subject. On both, I feel that the image is lacking a bit on the left with the bridge being incomplete. I dont know which of the two I prefer. I love the pillar reflection and what almost looks like clouds in the water in the second, but I much prefer the crop of the first. The second is too tight up top for my tastes. Landscapes need to have room to breath.

Great job though, I enjoyed looking at them

Thanks for that comment.

Here is a mod of the 1st pic. I cropped more of the water out in which it brought it in tighter to the background.

20110314-_DSC0044-1 by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

I hope this is what you were referring too. :D

Thanks. You will have fun with it...hopefully you have better glass. Those shots were taken with a 50mm f1.8. Next lens is the 35mm f1.8. Show some pics when you have some.
I will show some pics when I get much much better. Oh and a better tripod. This little targus 50" sucks. I will be in Ireland in May. Hoping to improve by then. Aloha from Iraq.

The horizon looks a little off for me...especially #1.

I also wonder what #1 would look like without the vignette.

BUT
Great colors! I quite enjoyed them.

I love the first one!
Our equipments are identical :D

I can't tell if it is the an illusion or not but to me it looks like the horizon is a little off in each one. I know the bridges make it look that way but I felt the first one was a little off when I saw it too. These are awesome pics!

Thanks everyone....comments are much appreciated. Still learning and hoping to improve with each photo. Cheers :D

I like 1 and 2. The reflection on the water is magnificent. The water color on 2 is a little over the top for my taste but that's just relative. The reflection is excellent. How much (if any) PP did you do on these?

Most reactions

Back