Sunset's @ the Beach

cosmom3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were shot in Santa Barbara CA. I don't yet have photoshop, partially because I'm trying to improve my photo skills before I move to something that hides them. Because of this I'm not yet cropping all of the pointless black in the photos...maybe you guys could show me what you'd do.

Exposure: 10 sec (10) Aperture: f/22 Focal Length: 17 mm ISO Speed: 200 Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
2088357706_83f84ef78a_b.jpg

I think what your seeing is light crossing the lens (not sure of the photo term) but I forgot to bring my hood...You see more drastic examples in my other photos that I'm not posting.

Thanks!

Be harsh please...I gotta learn.:thumbup:

The Galleries are THE places for "some feedback", cosmom, and Critical Analysis is actually the place for very severe critiquing, in depth (which no longer happens, as it is, people comment in here as they would in the Galleries, where commenting is lighter, shorter, more like a mere conversation).

Therefore there is no need for these to stay in Critical Analysis, less even since there are three of them. You can only critisise ONE photo IN DEPTH, hence our agreement to ever only post ONE photo (and one that the photographer considers as his/her FINISHED work).

And you got a serious dust problem, all the spots that show are NO light crossing the lens, definitely not.

2087570543_4325b1beea_b_markedspecs.jpg

They show in the same configuration in all your three photos here.
There are many more small ones that I did not mark.

Thanks for the feed back, and I will take 2 out. My roommates (who major in art, photo to be exact) all say that my angled shot are way noob and to not do it...lol. I guess I have to agree with them. We just spent a while analyzing the shots and came up with some good constructive criticism's for them. At any rate, feel free to edit as you please.

Well, it's not fair of them to completely rule out tilting a shot, it has its place. Sadly, it's place is not landscape ;] All you can do is keep shooting, keep getting different ideas thrown at you, and see what else you can come up with. And for the record, that's totally dust. ]:

Well, it's not fair of them to completely rule out tilting a shot, it has its place. Sadly, it's place is not landscape ;] All you can do is keep shooting, keep getting different ideas thrown at you, and see what else you can come up with. And for the record, that's totally dust. ]:
Ya we talked about given the right lines tilting is the correct procedure...but not the beach. They both showed me their pics from a couple years ago when they thought it was cool too.:wink:

I totally agree on the dust, little confused since this is a 400D and the EOS is supposed to handle that...could be of been on the filter or maybe EOS just isn't doing its job?

I have a 350D and have loads and loads of dust problems myself, too. I change lenses too often so it cannot be avoided. And the self-cleaning thing doesn't do anything noticeable, at least not with my camera.

I have a 350D and have loads and loads of dust problems myself, too. I change lenses too often so it cannot be avoided. And the self-cleaning thing doesn't do anything noticeable, at least not with my camera.
Ya, I hate being mislead with technology like EOS...its one of the reasons I purchased the XTi.

At any rate, do people have opinions on the picture at hand? I dont like all the black area on the right side, but I think it has enough detail in it to brighten it up.

These were shot in Santa Barbara CA. I don't yet have photoshop, partially because I'm trying to improve my photo skills before I move to something that hides them.

Photoshop isn't meant to necessarily hide your photo skills. Post precessing has been a part of photography ever since its invention... it's called a darkroom. I like to think of photoshop as the darkroom of digital photography.

I would would agree, however using my time to better my skills out in the field is a better way to become a better photographer than to sit infront of my computer eliminating the mistakes I made in the field. Does that make sense? I love all the utilities photoshop has to offer, but in regards to getting better I see more time shooting is more important. I look forward to using the program, but I wont be doing it for a couple months.

Some beginners tend to take the wrong view of Photoshop or postprocessing. Correcting mistakes is only a very small part of the process of postprocessing. Serious pros will tell you that ALL shots require postprocessing or they are NOT ready for posting, printing or selling. As a matter of fact very thick books have been written by pros on the need for colour correction of all digital photos in postprocessing for accuracy and effectiveness. Dynamic range can also be improved in any photo the postprocessing as well. Sharpness is deliberately set soft in camera by some manufacturers because they know that it will be adjusted in Photoshop later.

So as a beginner, you are ignoring a large and essential part of photography, if you are ignoring postprocessing.

skieur

Maybe I need to be more clear with this. I am not saying that photoshop is bad, or that I wont use it in the future (because I will). I'm just saying that I have a couple priorities that I'd like to complete before delving into such fantastic programs such as Aperture, Light Room and lastly Photoshop. I already use light room when fixing pictures for friends...but I am trying to become a better photographer right now, not a better Photoshoper.:D I hope I've finally emphazied my feelings towards Photoshop now, so that perhaps we could get onto my mediocer sunset shot?

I like the idea of the shot quite a bit, and the softness of it is nice, and the colors are warm. But the colors just aren't vivid enough for a sunset, and the bright light on the right from the building is distracting and the foreground is maybe just a tad too dark.

Most reactions

Back