sunshine after rain

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
there's something about this one that bugs me, but i wonder if anyone else will pick up on it. i am looking for ways to improve this shot- i'm sure i'll have another opportunity to catch my daughter doing this, for she's an easy laugh, even directly after having a good fuss about something or other....
anyway, don't worry about offending me, i want some brutally honest critique- so have at it!
1.jpg

I love the expression on her face. The only thing that FREAKS me out is that it looks like her head is floating. This may just be a personal thing. But it may give me nightmares tonight. :shock:

:D

the love this shot, except for one little thing. The forhead is real bright and there is a steady gradient down to the chin (it look like you applied a circular gradient in PS) maybe try some more diffused lighting or from a different spot.

hi toby,

you've caught a beautiful expression on her face! The facial expression is a gorgeous as i've seen on any shot here. As what Graig said, that it looks a bit like a floating head. Thats the very first thought, though my second thought what a marvelous expression!

Maybe the shot can be cropped a bit tighter? Was it photoshopped to put an emphasis on the face?

I agree - those 2 things are all that's wrong with it, and we're being nitpicky here because it is a beautiful shot! :D

Don't sweat it - crop down to the hairline. Hot spot gone, head is now at the image border and no longer floating in space. Perfect moment captured.

Your work here is done. :wink:

Yep. Same comments here about the 'floating' head. What an adorable child! Look at those dimples! I'm a sucker for dimples. From tears to smiles in a nanosecond... I dearly love the little ones. :)

thank you all, for your input. she's my baby, and she owns me!!

my wife had the exact same opinion regarding the floating head. she also contends that the lack of visible hair at the top of the image makes her look like a cancer vitctim. my wife wields her critique with all the softness of a mac truck. she's good that way- i always know when i'm in trouble if she does not like an image. and man, let me tell you something, she loooooves takin' note of my flaws! :lol:

reason lighting is as is is because i shot this while in the car, at a rest stop, and my baby girl was strapped in her carseat- not happy. i grabbed the camera and went through several idiotic contortions to get her to smile. this also amused the people getting gas two pumps over; i'm sure they thought i had some kind of rare degenerative muscle disease.

bounced the flash off the ceiling of the car, hence the graduated fade. the buckles and straps to the carseat were distracting, so i burned them out post process, hence the Alfred Hitchcock affect.

anyway, i'll try again with some umbrellas and a nice outfit. just need to figure out how to get her to start crying. maybe i'll show her some of my earlier work- it always makes me cry...

Most reactions

Back