Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone know anything about the old super 8 video cameras and projectors??? I was just at my parents and found a few peices of old equipment that I bought for $5 at a garage sale about 5 or 6 years ago...I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about them? Any info appreciated. I'll try and get some pictures up later on. :)

They used to be what everyone used before the wonderful world of videocameras. I still have a couple of them laying around. I'd imagine film and processing for them has become pretty expensive, but its probably been 8-10 years since I've used them for anything.

You can still get film and get it processed but it's not cheap anymore. Got a couple of old cinecameras myself - just for nostalgia.
You need to check out professional film suppliers (motion picture industry).
I think you can still get B&W film and if you hunt around you can find film tanks for processing it at home.

Not answering your question in anyway, but... You can get the film put onto video or dvd if you want to. We've just sent off some old film. The local photography shop does it.

I found an old Super 8 camera lying around home too one day and actually ran some film through it just for fun. (yes film is available but it's expensive. If you go into a shop that sells a lot of processing chemicals and papers and stuff they should have some or be able to get it) But honestly I don't think it's worth the effort. It's good fun, once or twice just because it's different. But it's too expensive, there's no sound and well... there's a reason they invented new video cameras. he he.

If you are going to do some filming - make sure you've got really good light. Try and film outside, not inside and try and plan your shot because you run out of film pretty quickly. Then get it developped and have a Super 8 party where you all sit around pissed watching old movies! Yay! <- Now that's why it's worth it!

You can record sound, just not on the same reel. I know nothing about this sort of thing. It's jsut that we found some and sent it to the shop for them to put onto video. He sent one back and said that it was a sound recording to go with on of the reels, he just didn't know which. If you have a projector you have to play them both at the same time I'm assuming.

I've been wondering the same thing about super8. In the past I dabbled heavily in video and was always searching for the elusive "film" effect. I have been tempted several times to buy a super8 but didn't know if I could even get film for it anymore let alone have it processed!

I think I may look into it...if only to try it once. I have the projector and projector screen, as well.

How long to the reels last? Ours were about 3 mins each which shocked me. I thought they'd be longer.

Now this is where my expertise really comes out. I was the biggest video/film making buff from 16-23. lol

First of all, when you're talking about 8mm film movie cameras, they don't make any equipment for it anymore. They do, however make converters to go from film to video if you've already got the projector. It's usually just a little mirror and a 6x6in screen for you to point a video camera at so you can dub it off.

Canon Fan, you know that elusive "film effect" you said you were talking about. I've actually got a little formula that I used on my video editor which pulled it off rather well if I may say so. ;-) However, the key thing you'd be looking for is a camercorder that has the progressive scan feature much like the prog-scan feature on Canon's older camcorders like the original Elura and Optura. The only models you can find that feature on from them these days is the GL2 or the XL1, and it's labeled as a "frame movie" mode on those models. What it does is give you 30 full-res frames per second instead of 60 half-frame "fields". Gives it a bit more of a stutter in the motion. Then, in post, you would need to add a small bit of blur to eliminate the harsh contrasty snap that video has, then adjust the gamma to about 1.20 (which it's usually already at 1.00), and then boost the colors just a bit. Then, if you have this effect in your editor, add a VERY little bit of either film grain or film noise like hair or dust particles, but be sparing with that as most people tend to overdo it.

Ha HA Kent! I know what you mean! Been shooting with Panasonic DVX-100 gear at 24p (close enough I suppose) seeing as how true film is about 24fps, but yes true NTSC video is 29.97fps and is "TOO" real for most including myself ;)

Almost makes you want a PAL system for cheap easy effect eh?

Ah and yes the second "B" track blur effect :heart:

Was a hardcore video fan about 2 years ago :cry: Now my business partner does all of that end :cry:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back