Super Easy Filter Question for you guys

mfer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry, for such a basic question. I've been trying to find the answer online, but I'm not sure.

I just bought a D40 kit with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II ED lens and I've been reading that I should really get a clear UV filter for protecting my lens. I know that it isn't an expensive lens, but I like to take care of stuff none-the-less.

So, I see on Nikon's site that I need a 52mm Screw In filter.
Lens detail here

I then go shopping. I see...
$27 for Hoya 52mm UV (Ultra Violet) Super Multi Coated Glass Filter
$19 for Hoya 52mm UV (Ultra Violet) Multi Coated Glass Filter

But, how do I know that these are screw in filters and it will fit my kit lens? Are they all screw in?

Also, I know that these are good for outdoor pics, but do you just leave the filter on even on the indoors, just to protect from dirt, etc? Does it hurt the image indoors?

Appreciate the help guys and girls and thanks in advance.

So, I see on Nikon's site that I need a 52mm Screw In filter.
$27 for Hoya 52mm UV (Ultra Violet) Super Multi Coated Glass Filter
$19 for Hoya 52mm UV (Ultra Violet) Multi Coated Glass Filter
Those are the correct size and yes, they are screw in filters. The size given with a filter is going to be a diameter, which usually denotes a screw type filter.

Does it hurt the image indoors?
It's going to hurt the image at all times. That's what happens when you put something in front of your lens. Sometimes, for some people, the benefits outweigh the down side. But in general, I agree with Shockey on this one.

Wow, so you guys are saying no filter then.

Appreciate your thoughts and the thoughts from others as well!

Cheers!

there are 2 camps to the UV filter thought. im sure more will chime in.
i used to use one too on all my lenses purely out of fear. but after reading some of the threads on here about what it can do to your image, i removed them. im a little more careful now, and i dont have to worry about the negatives of UV filters. :thumbup:

Yeah I'd normally chime in from the other camp. Protective filters are a good idea in general, and has actually saved my skin several times. I'm not careful and do a lot of stupid things to get a decent shot.

The filters hurt the image by various degrees. A cheap Hoya filter just flat out makes the picture fuzzy and causes a lot of flare issues. It's nasty and I wouldn't wish anyone to use it. The world would be a better place without them. The Hoya SHMC filters are about the lowest end filter I would ever consider putting on any lens. Pro1D filters are good too, though from a protective side of things they are worse (thinner). Recently I've switched to B+W filters, the good ones which are available for about $70+

In your case though. Weigh in the cost of the lens vs the cost of the filter. My 50mm f/1.8 has no protective filter on it. The filter costs about half the cost of the whole lens. My 28-70mm f/2.8 on the other hand has a shiny B+W filter because I'm not made of money and chipping the front element of that lens would really just spoil my day.

So in summary:
- The question of value is left entirely up to you.
- Cheap filters are bad, no iffs or buts, just plain out bad.
- Even the most expensive filters while showing no sharpness issues may cause flaring BUT if they do you can always take them off. (I don't use filters for night photography).

GOOD:

Use the lens cap when the lens is not in use and the lens hood when it is in use. Treat your gear like the precision, costly equipment it is and be careful as you handle it.
Using the hood, increases contrast and minimizes lens flare. :thumbup:

BAD:

A UV lens adds an air gap and extra glass the lens was not optimised to have. The additional air gap and glass surfaces can cause a loss of image contrast and will promote lens flare.

GOOD:

Use the lens cap when the lens is not in use and the lens hood when it is in use. Treat your gear like the precision, costly equipment it is and be careful as you handle it.
Using the hood, increases contrast and minimizes lens flare. :thumbup:

BAD:

A UV lens adds an air gap and extra glass the lens was not optimised to have. The additional air gap and glass surfaces can cause a loss of image contrast and will promote lens flare.

I agree, just use a lens hood and keep the cap on when not in use. I actually think a solid hood provides more protection than a filter in many instances, not to mention it makes your camera look 10x cooler. ;)

I agree, just use a lens hood and keep the cap on when not in use. I actually think a solid hood provides more protection than a filter in many instances, not to mention it makes your camera look 10x cooler. ;)

What are you talking about!?!? I look cool already!!!

DSC01257.jpg

Don't waste your money. I have been photographing for 25+ years and have never used a UV filter. I take care of my equipment, but I don't treat it like the crown jewels so don't think that you have to treat it as something fragile just because you don't have a UV filter on the front of your lens. Keep the lens cap on when not in use and you will be fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back