Super Newbie D40/flash question

philaphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all -

OK, here's a really dumb question.

I am shooting a friend and her newborn next week using my Nikon D40. I usually shoot in natural light, but want to have the option of using a flash if needed and not having it look like - well - a flash.

So.

Is there any kind of equipment option I could use with a D40/built in flash... such as a soft box? Can those be used with a D40 and if so, how and which product specifically?

I can put in a quick order at B & H if there's anything that can be used to diffuse the flash on my current camera.

Apologize for the ignorant question and THANK YOU!

Amanda

Nikon N90
Nikon D40
Micro Nikkor 60 mm
Nikkor 70-300
Nikkor 28-80
SB30

A piece of tissue paper draped over the flash, or thin sheet of translucent plastic will make a good diffuser. Just make sure that you practice a bit before hand so that you know what sorts of results to expect.

I use a container that the 35mm film comes it. Its translucent white, I just cut a hole in the side the size of the flash, and when I want to diffuse it I just slip it on. (Only in times when I don't have my external flash with me)

You can buy a softbox through Amazon, B&H or many other places for around $20. I'm not sure if they'll fit your flash or not (I'm not personally familiar with it), but most can be taped if need be. BTW, the only ignorant questions are the ones people are afraid to ask. You can't learn if you don't ask. :)

Last edited:
Another option is to use something to redirect the flash so you can bounce it off the ceiling. A business card or one of those 4x6 index cards work well.

THANK YOU so much everyone... what great suggestions!! This gives me a lot more confidence that I can get the shots I want!

Is there any kind of equipment option I could use with a D40/built in flash... such as a soft box? Can those be used with a D40 and if so, how and which product specifically?

Believe it or not, there are at least three:
LumiQuest Soft Screen Diffuser for Camera with Pop-Up Flash
388057.jpg

and
Sto-Fen OM-F1 Omni-Flip Pop-Up Flash Diffuser

and
Gary Fong Puffer Pop-Up Flash Diffuser

I would agree with the majority of the people here and say that a piece of translucent piece of plastic or a sheet of tissue paper fixed to the flash will work well. It doesn't take much other than a bit of practice and you'll have mastered it.

LockWood's idea of using a 35mm film canister sounds really good, though. I might try it out myself :D

Most reactions

Back