SUPER RESOLUTION!!!

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wow, the latest feature in Ps, is pretty awesome. From the ACR team: Super Resolution I didn't realize it was in the latest update. Just had the opportunity to try it, and the results are amazing. Here is the original raw file.
November 201920191115_1992.jpg

Capture.JPG

A fairly large file, right?
Now after running the Super Resolution, my file information on the same image was
Capture.JPG

Double the resolution, and 10 times the image file size.

But there's more, it does it without a loss of detail, in fact it actually enhances detail in the process. Here's a heavy crop of the original.
original.jpg

And the same detail crop of the super sized image only tighter.
Enhanced 13percent crop.jpg

Finally, it's fast......it took 7 seconds to render the super resolution file.

I'll have to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

Impressive.

@CherylL One thing I haven't quite figured out is the menu to access the feature is a little wonky. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently you can also access it from the film strip, which would be easier. Use Raw Details and Super Resolution in Adobe Camera Raw Also didn't mentioned it earlier, but it looks like the Enhance Details has been replaced with Enhance Raw Details.

Last edited:
I don't subscribe , yet.....but saw this article the other day and seems incredible.
So in my search for a new laptop, I guess I am going to need a WHOLE lot more storage or ram or something. :}

I don't subscribe , yet.....but saw this article the other day and seems incredible.
So in my search for a new laptop, I guess I am going to need a WHOLE lot more storage or ram or something. :}

Well not "every" image needs to be super sized. LOL However I can see some applications where this would be handy. In my example above with the original resolution printing a fine art print at 300 dpi would limit me to about 16x24 maximum image size. Previously increasing the resolution of the image in PS would result in a degradation of details. With the Super Resolution tool i could print a 30x40 at 300 dpi with no loss of detail.

I was playing around with it in Adobe Bridge -> Camera Raw ... it did show an improvement to the TIF neg/slide scans that I have.
DO NOT try this on very small JPEG's, as they get super pixelized.

Being sort of new to the Adobe subscription model, I don't really understand how Adobe Bridge or ACR works these days. When I used PSE11 it would open pics in ACR and I would adjust then save and go right to PSE. I stopeed using that when it wouldn't support my Fuji files and switched to Affinity. Last year I bought a MacBook Pro and started the Adobe subscription, mostly using LRC. Now that I use LRC, the ACR seems to be built in????? Or am I missing out on a step?

Yes.
This enhance is not currently in LR ... so I installed Bridge (which is free for everyone) to check it out.

Now that I use LRC, the ACR seems to be built in????? Or

You are correct when you open an image in LR it's the same as ACR. If you open an image in ACR you'll find the exact same panels you have in LR. My workflow is to transfer images ftom disk to file in Bridge, because I find it faster to do the first cull and even the first minor edits, then go to LR, then PS. However now that I can access ACR from Bridge, I may reevaluate that.

DO NOT try this on very small JPEG's, as they get super pixelized.

Interesting. It also will not work the second time on an image.

Yes.
This enhance is not currently in LR ... so I installed Bridge (which is free for everyone) to check it out.

You can also access it in Ps. Go to filter>camera raw filter. Right click on image, and choose enhance from the drop down

Reactions: pez
a stab from behind for sensor manufacturers .. I have 6000x4000 (24MP) sensor, was saving up and waiting for to go at 8256x5504 (45MP on D850) so now it seems like this feature can give me 12Kx8K (96MP) out of the box ? incredible ...

Hmm,

I did test with GIMP with resizing photos twice same as this plugin and the result is not that bad ... funny I never tried to resize photo to be larger .. here's the result

Resize_test.jpg

seems to me that however this feature sounds fancy, it's probably more marketing than real effect ..

regards, dan

edit: testing this kritiksoman/GIMP-ML

Last edited:
seems to me that however this feature sounds fancy, it's probably more marketing than real effect ..

I know nothing of Gimp or it's abilities and with such a low resolution example I couldn't say one way or the other on a comparison. As to marketing the feature is an upgrade to the service I already receive.

I know nothing of Gimp or it's abilities and with such a low resolution example I couldn't say one way or the other on a comparison. As to marketing the feature is an upgrade to the service I already receive.

would you be please so kind and try out a PS super resolution with attached sample file and share the result ??

thank you so much

ps. I had to zip the tif file ... forum refused .tif as attachment ..

Attachments

• sample-DSC_0160.tif.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 96

Most reactions

New Topics

Back