Super wide lens for Canon 5D ?

naxian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm living in a small island , Naxos Greece.
I just took the Canon 5D dslr. Before i use 350D. But the old lenses change the way they look , in the 5D camera.

I test a friends 30D lens Sigma 17-70 but in my camera i see black edges.

Most of the lenses working with smallest CCD sensors.
I want to have the maximum wide ( without distortion like fisheye images) , and working with my camera.

Can anybody help me ?

your choices are the 16-35mm f2.8 L, the 17-40 f4 L, or the 14mm f2.8 L. There are also a few other choices, but those are the main superwide zooms that will fit your 5d

Sigma makes 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 and 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom lenses that will fit your 5D and work with the full-frame image sensor. The 12-24mm currently retails for $689, and the 15-30mm is $499. In addition, if you don't mind giving up zoom capability, both Canon and Tamron make 14mm f/2.8 full-frame prime lenses that will work with the 5D. The Canon lens retails for $1750-1800, and the Tamron sells for about $1100. There is also a rebate currently available for the Tamron through B&H Photo, bringing the price down to about $900. (All prices are USD.)

I have got the 17-40 4 L .

nice lens for me ... it is quite wide at the wide end, but not super-wide to me (I can never get enough ;) )

only for some rare architecture shots I really wish I had a 12mm or something in that range.

Some examples would be helpful of the lens you test. Now days all the manufactories currently make lens for both full frame and digital. When looking at lenses start by insuring that you only consider full frame lens.

The best possible value for money I can think of is the EF 17-40/4L. The 16-35/2.8 is a bit disappointing at the edges and wide open. Also costs almost twice as much.

The sigma 12-24 is the ultimate ultra-wide angle you can get, however chromatic aberration at the edges is pretty pronounced. I would not suggest you buy it.

My experience with the EF-S 10-22 (equivalent 16-35) on a crop body (30D) at 10mm is that this is pretty wide angle.

PS. I live in Athens.

I love my 16-35mm 1:2.8 L on my 5D, it's great for architecture. There's some barrel distortion, but I correct for it in Photoshop if it is visible when a straight line runs close to an edge.

Most reactions

Back