Supporting the Local Camera Store

BrandonS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topspeedphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure everyone that has bought equipment has come across this situation. I'm looking at a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. BH sells it for $640 and with 2 day shipping it would come to $650. My local camera store sells the same lens for $750.

If the part is generally $100 or more I don't mind spending an extra $30 to support the local guys since I can go in there and get advice on things and generally BS with them. However, $100 is a lot to swallow.

So do you guys generally just cough up the extra cash, talk them down and spend more, make them price match, or just order from an online vendor?

How do you guys feel about online stores vs your local camera store?

I like to support local stores...especially the old guy who runs the little hole in the wall shop...so I spend some money in these places from time to time. But when it comes down to saving $100...I use the big stores like B&H.

It's a little different for me, being in Canada because the shipping can be more expensive and the exchange rate is always changing. Not to mention that the prices here are usually quite a bit higher than just the exchange rate.

I take everything on a case by case basis.

My local store prices higher but will match our two big CDN retailers (Henrys, Vistek) once you bring the issue up.

Only problem is selection and availability.

Well... I live 100+ miles from my nearest camera store, and they are horrible. The nearest decent stores are in St. Louis, Kansas City and Des Moines (all more than 150 miles away from me).

The down side is I can't get anything locally... the upside is when I want to shoot wildlife I can just walk from my front door with my camera and start shooting.

My local store prices higher but will match our two big CDN retailers (Henrys, Vistek) once you bring the issue up.
My local store will also price match...other Canadian stores...but unfortunately, they are all a lot more expensive than the big US stores.

My local store will also price match...other Canadian stores...but unfortunately, they are all a lot more expensive than the big US stores.

true that....

but we have all the maple syrup and beaver pelts....

I support my local store - mostly as there is big man in the store who says that he will break my (tripod) legs if I don't shop there!!!

Seriously though for smaller purchases I will use a local store without any worries = when it comes to much more expensive options though I do start to get more picky. If the store will give me a competative price when compared to other options then I will go for it - even if the price is a little more than some other options as I really prefer dealing with a physical store over an internet website

There are a bunch of cool used gear stores near me, and since I mostly shoot with film cameras and use old lenses on my DSLR, I almost always shop locally.

It's neat too, because sometimes the local stores give you snazzy "Buy Local" stuff like shirts and stickers if you come in a lot.

I shop locally to look for used lenses and the small stuff like bags, filters, etc. Anything really expensive though where I'm going to save a lot of money by shopping online, forget local.

No local here. I haven't the stomach to fight rush hour traffic to get to the stores after work (really only 2 decent camera stores here). Plus, they are always way more expensive than online stores.

I wish there was a local camera store. There's a local pizza/ice-cream/art studio (seriously) which sells a handful of old Nikkor lenses, but that's all. There's nothing but online for me, although any local place with even reasonable prices would get my business -- although maybe only for smaller purchases (filters, miscellaneous accessories) and not the really big-ticket ones (lenses).

I have bought all of my bodies from the local store. I was surprised that they were close to B&H on price. Now their lens selection is very limited so I usually dont get them there. I do have bought my tripods, filers and, other items from them though. At a $100 price diffrence I would have bought online.

I say screw em both and order direct from the supplier! hehe

You can ignore this post now! :p

Most expensive items are purchased through my local shop... they know how to treat me well. All well worth the extra money. Two other local shops closed recently, so they must be doing something right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back