Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My oldest son, Christopher, is having surgery tomorrow to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. Should be an outpatient procedure, but seeing your child put under is a little nerve wracking. If you wouldn't mind keeping him in your thoughts we would appreciate it. :heart:

I'll be thinking of him!
And I would not want a tonsillectomy to be an outpatient procedure! I would prefer to have my child under close supervision for at least three days! Adenoids out is a different matter, but tonsils... But I don't know how such things are handled in the States. Here, tonsillectomy is something that you have to stay in hospital for.

Sure thing, my parents were really worried when i fell through a double glazed glass door at the age of two...

^^ Likewise here!!

my thoughts are with you and Christopher!

I'll have him in my thoughts as well!

I had the exact same thing done when I was a kid...it wasn't bad then, and I've been told the procedure has advance a lot even since then. My neice has had it done as well (when she was 3). It's good it's being done now though, rather than waiting til he's an adult...THAT'S when it's not such a routine procedure!

I'm sure he'll do fine! :D I'll keep you all in my thoughts as well! :D

I had the same thing done when I was 40. Kids bounce back faster and we will keep him in our thoughts.

P.S. All the ice cream you can eat thing, it's a lie! I did enjoy the suckers with the pain killer in them.

fredcwdoc said:
I had the same thing done when I was 40. Kids bounce back faster and we will keep him in our thoughts.

P.S. All the ice cream you can eat thing, it's a lie! I did enjoy the suckers with the pain killer in them.

:lol: I had ice cream, and pudding, and mashed potatoes, and apple sauce and popscicles and...well I don't remember what else! :lol:

Hehe...and the neighbor boy had his out a few days before me, so we recovered together! :lol:

Thanks everyone! Corinna, I know that in the past they would keep children in the hospital for at least a few days. I was surprised to hear that he would only have to stay for 4 hours. I guess the technique they use now is much less invasive. We're all very hopeful that this will give him a better quality of life since he's been sick with chronic ear infections and tonsil infections for several years.

He seems to be more excited about being able to play video games at home while his brother is at school than the ice cream :lol:

Alison said:
Thanks everyone! Corinna, I know that in the past they would keep children in the hospital for at least a few days. I was surprised to hear that he would only have to stay for 4 hours. I guess the technique they use now is much less invasive. We're all very hopeful that this will give him a better quality of life since he's been sick with chronic ear infections and tonsil infections for several years.

He seems to be more excited about being able to play video games at home while his brother is at school than the ice cream :lol:
Bless his little heart!! :heart: I didn't know the poor guy suffered in this way. Yes, they will first make sure he is awake, alert, and aware, then they'll send him on home to recuperate fully unless there seems to be cause to keep him overnight.

Steven had a small hernia surgically removed when he was three months old. They told me it would take 45 minutes, tops. I well remember the stomach-dropping terror I felt when it was 90 minutes in and still no word. :pale: Everything went well, it just took longer than expected - they seemed not to realize they had a near-distraught mother in the waiting room who was clock-watching. :lol: Handing over my baby to that surgical nurse was a terrible moment, indeed!

I'll be thinking of him, and also YOU, tomorrow! :hug::

Let us know how he's doing when you can! :)

Alison said:

When I had mine out when I was in 4th grade, they did keep me over night. That was also around 14 years ago.

You are definitely doing the right thing here, and early enough.

Had only one doctor suggested my son Kristian get his tonsils out when he was only six (by when he had suffered from countless infections of ear, throat and bronchii, including one pneumonia)............, but he was unlucky to have lived when tonsillectomies were "not en vogue", right at the time when all the doctors said: "Ah well, in former times our colleagues took out the tonsils too soon, too early, we are past that kind of thinking" ... and when my Kristian was 10, his heart gave out and he died all of a sudden one night. His tonsils had never been cured of the streptococci that lived in them, and those had spread all over his body uncontrollably, so along with his infections he must have had regular inflamations of the heart muscles, none of which really SHOWED (a young child's heart can compensate soooo much), so no doctor (and he had seen MANY in his short life!) ever even thought about writing an ECG... our ignorance and the "medical fashion" of the time was his fate then...

So have him go through this, he'll be in a little pain once ... and after that I am sure he will be a lot better, and his tonsils, which actually are supposed to protect the body from bacteria that want to enter, and which sometimes do just the opposite, i.e. spread them instead, can no longer do him any harm!

LaFoto said:
You are definitely doing the right thing here, and early enough.

Had only one doctor suggested my son Kristian get his tonsils out when he was only six (by when he had suffered from countless infections of ear, throat and bronchii, including one pneumonia)............, but he was unlucky to have lived when tonsillectomies were "not en vogue", right at the time when all the doctors said: "Ah well, in former times our colleagues took out the tonsils too soon, too early, we are past that kind of thinking" ... and when my Kristian was 10, his heart gave out and he died all of a sudden one night. His tonsils had never been cured of the streptococci that lived in them, and those had spread all over his body uncontrollably, so along with his infections he must have had regular inflamations of the heart muscles, none of which really SHOWED (a young child's heart can compensate soooo much), so no doctor (and he had seen MANY in his short life!) ever even thought about writing an ECG... our ignorance and the "medical fashion" of the time was his fate then...

So have him go through this, he'll be in a little pain once ... and after that I am sure he will be a lot better, and his tonsils, which actually are supposed to protect the body from bacteria that want to enter, and which sometimes do just the opposite, i.e. spread them instead, can no longer do him any harm!
An unbelievable tragedy. I have no words for this so here: :hugs:

Most reactions

Back