Surrealism

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's something I think is interesting and have been kicking around;

The Surrealists did not rely on reasoned analysis or sober calculation; on the contrary, they saw the forces of reason blocking the access routes to the imagination.
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/phsr/hd_phsr.htm

Anyone ever try to illustrate a dream, a feeling or an abstract emotion through photography in an other than realistic way?

Try running water over a glass pane and shooting through that. Old school I know, you can do most anything in photoshop.

The thing that separates a master from most people is vision.

I can't get the link to work.

Duane Michaels played around with dream sequences in some of his work, I believe.

http://www.temple.edu/photo/photographers/michals/photosb.html

I liked the sequence of shots. There was a problem with his link from 2-3 but the concept is cool.

The -essay- attracts me too. Not just on his site but on others I've been seeing also.

Try running water over a glass pane and shooting through that. Old school I know, you can do most anything in photoshop.

The thing that separates a master from most people is vision.

A Bette Davis movie?- :)

Stopping way short of graphic arts and fantasy.

I don't feel like I'm getting what I want out of 'conventional' photography. I like what I shoot, but prefer ... Hard to say, just trying to flesh it out.

I need an adventure.

Abstract and unrealistic... have you seen some of the HDR work posted on this forum :)

Oh yeah, oh yeah... I've seen some real -- that was real and conventional too.

I thinking of work that is intentionally produced to relate or invoke something other than pure aesthetics.

Having been a fan of Anime since I first saw Akira back in 90 I personally like some of the HDR work. I think it stands on it's own just like Anime does. It's all expressions of art imho.

Personally, I enjoy the blur between the real and the surreal that photography creates. I love photography as a medium because it is undeniably real. However, it can distort a reality into a surreality. That's surely what surrealist painters did also.

sheep2.jpg

Bad example to illustrate a point. What fascinates me most about photography is when the real is so undeniably real it becomes surreal.

You have to stare long and hard ;)

14.jpg

Each to their own!

...It's a photograph. It is unquestionably real.

I guess it's all relative to the reality we live in?

What do you mean by surreal?

Surreal, well, in the context I'm thinking, and the dinosaur photo brought this to mind; how since dinosaurs are so large, it must be tedious and awkward if not impossible to upload photos of them (plus, they do not currently exist, making it all the more important they are shown). If this must be done it becomes very frustrating. Can these emotional elements/condition be conveyed through photography?

Here's an example from the 'Darkside' forum;

IMG_3316B.jpg

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92525

The shot seems to me to relate an antagonism involved with dream-state independant flight and entanglement with earthly powers and ties.

Was that the intention?- It works something inside of me.

--
Illusion is good, but only if the illusion comes across clearly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back