Suspicious Craigslist response

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I just ordered a new camera body (Nikon D300) and I am selling my D60 on Craigslist. Now, this is the response I got. It's obviously BS, but if it goes through Paypal, it will either work or it wont. How can a scam like this work if it's through paypal, unless they ask you to ship it before payment is sent?

Here's the response:

"Thanks for your response, I would have come to pick it up myself but am out of town at the moment, am buying the item as a birthday gift for my neice who is in west africa she works with the W.H.O there, i will like you to help me deliver it to her before her birthday, and will be adding $120 for shipment expenses through postal service (USPS).Payment will be through paypal,just send me paypal money request to (removed e-mail) so i can make payment immediately and if you dont have an account go to paypal website and sign up, its free.

Mrs Chatter"

What do you guys think?

Scam, or not worth bothering...

A scammer on PayPal. Hope you reported it to them.

Yeah, I am just curious how something like this could work. It's too bad that even PayPal can't provide secure transactions anymore. I googled Paypal Scams and apparently it's very easy through sites like eBay to get your money back, and not have to return the item.

I never did anything after I received the e-mail, because if I send them any type of money request via PayPal, they can view my address.

What they do is send you an fake invoice (very very similar to a PayPal one) but they state that payment wont be released until you send them a tracking number for the delivery package (meaning that you've already sent your camera away without receiving money - some also just say that the money has been paid in already and jsut hope that you dont log in to your account to check)... then you wont hear a thing from them is my bet.

What I learned when shopping/selling/anything to do with money on the internet: If it has anything to do with Africa or a Kenyan Prince, its a scam. BTW its on craigslist so why would you look at postings from places that you are not in at the moment?

I have gotten that same scam. I agreed at first, but ended up not sending it because I had to email him the tracking number before the money was put into my account. So within a few hours I get an obviously fake email from the FBI saying that my payment is required within 4 hours of receiving this message. So that was the end of it, I still get the same scammer every time I sell something over $300 on craigslist. I normally complement him on his creativity and ask him to move on :lol:

I have gotten that as well. Mine was almost identical. lol sad day

Any time the phrase 'the item' is used I delete the email. If they can't name what I have for sale then I move on.

What I learned when shopping/selling/anything to do with money on the internet: If it has anything to do with Africa or a Kenyan Prince, its a scam. BTW its on craigslist so why would you look at postings from places that you are not in at the moment?

As stated in the original post, I am selling my D60. Why would I be looking for a D60 from Africa when I already have one and just ordered a D300? :lol:

That was the response they sent to MY listing.

The whole point of craigslist is local buy/sell or trade IMO. Anything over an hours drive is not local and is to be ignored, again IMO.

i had that scam pulled on me a while ago... i think i found a loophole in their scam though. i ordered a check instead of transering funds, cashed the check then sent the item. they tried to return the item but luckily i posted an ALL SALES FINAL NO REFUNDS message in my original ebay post.

Yeah, I am just curious how something like this could work. It's too bad that even PayPal can't provide secure transactions anymore. I googled Paypal Scams and apparently it's very easy through sites like eBay to get your money back, and not have to return the item.

I never did anything after I received the e-mail, because if I send them any type of money request via PayPal, they can view my address.
This is the reason I never use Ebay or, Paypal which they own as well. I have heard of many people getting scammed on both. On Craigs I put down local only or, will meet with in reasonable distance.

Gumtree (which I use here in the UK for local trade) is also part of Ebay..

[random info]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back