Sutro Baths San Francisco long exposure

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Had some time between assignments to stop and take a shot at the Sutro Baths. I've been wanting to do a long exposure here for a long time but never have before today for some reason. I was there around noon so it wasn't the best time, but it still worked out pretty well.

Nikon D800
17-35mm @ 24mm/f5.6
ISO 100
Exp: 5 min, 27 sec

new_baths.jpg

Last edited:
Well done. This is a really interesting location, but you've found something specially nice there.

Amazing!!
Can you tell me more on settings? I am learning...
why 5 minutes? Was it totally dark? Or was that to get the smooth cloud look?
What ISO?
One day, I should hope for such a photo!
Nancy

Seems a little too contrasty. Your darks are choked in black on this screen but in photoshop look much better. Your horizon line needs a -.02 rotation. It's an interesting perspective and while I like what the clouds are doing from left to right, I wonder if you couldn't lose that area to the left and go with a vertical crop...just a thought.

Thank you, everyone. :thumbup:

Amazing!!
Can you tell me more on settings? I am learning...
why 5 minutes? Was it totally dark? Or was that to get the smooth cloud look?
What ISO?
One day, I should hope for such a photo!
Nancy

ISO was 100
Taken around noon.
I used 10-stop and 6-stop neutral density filters stacked to take 1/200th of a second to 5 minutes, 27 seconds. The ND filters allow for long exposures during the day(far beyond what would normally possible during the day) without using super small apertures like f/22 and the long exposure creates the smooth water and drifting clouds.

Mate, you've knocked it out of the park. Love this photo, the strong composition, the silkyness, the way you have a few simple elements that come together nicley to create interest and the textures of the stone. Good job!

Ditto on the contrast, and the rocks on the left look like they have a weird white halo. -not sure you can help that though...

Hey Dan, how did you decide on the 5-minute exposure? Trial and error or did you know beforehand? Great composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back