Swallow BIF, sort of a techinque

nzmacro

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little more of technique on the Swallows I was talking to Kris about and asked about the distances he was using. A bit easier if we see the full story I guess.

Shooting at a distance of around 12-15 meters depending on what's considered the best position at the time.

The full story

-----------------

They sit on a farm post

orig.jpg

---------------

From there they launch from the post and the idea is to track them as they head into a small stream on the right hand side of this shot. I fire off a slow burst and focus forward or backward and out of 5 shots I expect 3 to be in focus at 1/4000 sec.

So to give a better idea of distance and the cropping here's a full shot from the Sony NEX-7 (24 meg APS-C) and the 500mm @ F/4.5, ISO 400. Hopefully this gives a better idea of distance Kris.

orig.jpg

---------------

So the cropped version and tweaked

orig.jpg

--------------

I watch them for a long time without a camera to start with and see where they head to, enter the stream they like to feed off which is toward the right of the fence post. So this way we know which way they go and which way they head back to the post

So over the creek

orig.jpg

-------------

Then we can get them heading back to the post

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

-------------

This is not a good shot at all and its the dreaded butt shot, but this is what's next on the list to get either side on or preferably head on. A lousy shot, but always a reminder of what is wanted ;)

orig.jpg

-------------

So if there is a technique, it comes down to the post and where they plan to go. Hopefully that distance is the key and how large they are in the frame. Nothing is exactly close, but I plan to throw the 800mm onto these shortly instead of the 500mm. Tripod and handheld with the Swallows, just depends at the time.

All the best.

Danny.

Last edited:
#6 is the kind of shot which you can only get if you know where to focus. Thanks for sharing this information, I'll surely keep these points in mind. How much time did you spend for these entire session? The last one was almost perfect, only if he was facing in your direction. :) And looking forward to those 800mm shots :D

Looking at the dates, two sessions in 2 days there Raj. 31 keepers (worth posting) and 21 of those are BIF's, everything else goes in the bin, I'm ruthless with shots. I'll be out there with the 800mm tomorrow ....... if they are around :)

All the best Raj and thanks.

Danny.

Very interesting and informative, Danny. I admire your dedication and patience. Lee

Amazing stuff Danny. You must have reflexes like a cat. Say, your real name wouldn't happen to be Peter Parker by chance would it?

Lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Great post Danny. Really good info, I bet it will help many people! Still the MF thing kills me, but I might have to give it a try. I also think you are sharpening more in post than I was. Did a few quick calculations and having more distance would be helpful. At 300mm and F4 at my shooting distance, my dof was only about 2.5" at your distance with your lens it looks to be about 10" so I will have to try backing up next time.. Oh if it wasn't a 65 hour work week :( Hopefully monday I can give it another go...

Great post Danny. Really good info, I bet it will help many people! Still the MF thing kills me, but I might have to give it a try. I also think you are sharpening more in post than I was. Did a few quick calculations and having more distance would be helpful. At 300mm and F4 at my shooting distance, my dof was only about 2.5" at your distance with your lens it looks to be about 10" so I will have to try backing up next time.. Oh if it wasn't a 65 hour work week :( Hopefully monday I can give it another go...

Thanks Kris. Yep I do sharpen a fair bit and use selective sharpening, so only certain parts are sharpened. Yes it was that distance you were shooting from that made me think about it. I like a good amount of space in the frame and our 24meg sensors are pretty good at cropping. Man you do some hours at work. Anyway, looking forward to it Kris, once you get a few, it all becomes easier like most of our subjects and then you wonder what the problem was :)

Danny.

Great work Danny :) Knowing behaviour patterns certainly makes the seemingly impossible that little more doable doesn't it. Fantastic images as always mate.

I remember standing over a leaf for half an hour for these shots as this tiiiiiny vinegar fly flew around in the circuit, landed on the leaf, took off and did it again. I was using a macro lens with a small aperture so was completely reliant on luck and this fly sticking to his track. This was before I was any good at post and don't have raws from those days :(

5872216156_b9a73b0f9a_z.jpg

5871658615_2bd3d54572_z.jpg

Nice post and way cool to share. Birders can be weird, bird photographers are pretty darn generous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good info Danny :thumbup:

Nice post and way cool to share. Birders can be weird, bird photographers are pretty darn generous.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LOL, you are not kidding. When people ask me if I'm a birder, I'm always like ohhh nooo, I am a bird photographer :) Birders are indeed a strange bunch. I just don't get the driving around counting bird thing...

Great work Danny :) Knowing behaviour patterns certainly makes the seemingly impossible that little more doable doesn't it. Fantastic images as always mate.

I remember standing over a leaf for half an hour for these shots as this tiiiiiny vinegar fly flew around in the circuit, landed on the leaf, took off and did it again. I was using a macro lens with a small aperture so was completely reliant on luck and this fly sticking to his track. This was before I was any good at post and don't have raws from those days :(

5872216156_b9a73b0f9a_z.jpg

5871658615_2bd3d54572_z.jpg

Yeah that's tough work Dan. There's a huge difference between a plane in flight and a bird, then there is a huge difference between a bird in flight and a fly in size comparison :) I've taken plenty of both and birds are a lot easier IMO ;)

Love the lighting to get those colours to bounce Dan, excellent shots. In flight, amazing details and the selective focus is bang on.

All the best next door Dan, great to see !!.

Danny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back