swallow falls

dalebe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this is a classic case of me holding an umbrella in the drizzling rain, to stop my equipment from gettin wet,and trying to set my tripod up, terrible day! anyway this is swallow falls in snowdonia, go on rip it apart! :D

swallowfalls.jpg

I quite like slow shutter speeds for moving water, but in my view this picture would benifit from a much higher shutter speed

thanks rod! as it happens i do have a shot of it with a faster shutter speed, what do you think! :thumbup: or :thumbdown:.

swallowfalls2.jpg

Hi Dalebe,

These pics are great! I really like the first one with the slow shutter, but on the right middle side the water looks out of focus to me. Like maybe the tripod got bumped or something, but the left side is in focus, so I'm not sure what happened. Its probably just me though...

:D

- Julie

I prefer the first one actually. But maybe a bit more crop on the top? I dont know, it seems to me that the focus is the waterfall, so the sky/trees kind of take away from that.

i agree an increase in shutter speed would render the first better. the motion is creating an appearance of being out-of-focus. the second shot is too sharp for my taste. i really like the scene and composition though. hope you have another go at this!

thanks everyone for your great comments! i think neophyte struck the right cord, it was a terrible drizzly day, and there was also spray coming off the waterfall, so i cleaned my lense with my microfibre, and perhaps left a film of water on the lense,but i travelled a long way so i was determined to get at least one shot of it, and yes jonmikal i will definately be going back for a re-shoot when the weather picks up.

I'd prefer much longer exposure... to get the water really blurred.

i like the fast exposure, mostly because it's unique (waterfall shots are often only taken with long exposures), and because the colors, contrast, and exposure are spot on. there might be a little too much post-sharpening, but otherwise i cant think of anything else to critique!

Most reactions

Back