Sweden, It's an Adventure! (C&C puhlleeasssse)

Foxx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
WOAH I've been in Sweden for just over a week now. What a crazy time it's been, I've made new friends, experienced new cultures, and had MUCHO opportunities for pictures. Here are a few of my favorite so far. SO I need the critique of the lovely, seasoned members of this fine establishment (as always) :D

Please feel free to comment on just one, or all. Anything you feel motivated enough to write is much appreciated!

boardwalk__going_where__by_pianoblack97-d484jk2.jpg

czech_smile_by_pianoblack97-d47s96b.jpg

nature__s_gold_by_pianoblack97-d484jtv.jpg

biker_face_by_pianoblack97-d47zge5.jpg

Sounds like a great time! C&C per req:

1. Excellent leading lines, but what do they lead to? You really need something for the eye to settle on 1/2 to 2/3 of the way into the image. Technically it's fine, but artisically, IMO, it's only half done.

2. Nice, but strikes me as a little under-exposed. I would try and brighten it up just a bit, at least enough to get some life in her eyes. Remember that there's a reason the vertical orientation is referred to as 'portrait'! As well, consider your background. This could have been a really great shot of an attractive young lady with the right background, but a street sign, bicycle rack etc... I'll bet all you would have had to do is turn a bit and you would have found a better background. Never by shy about asking people to move a little if it will improve the picture, or about moving yourself.

3. Very nice... almost. I've always realy like this sort of shot, but again, get that camera up on end. If you're shootng a long, thin, vertical subject, get your camera vertical. Think of how much stronger this would be if we could see the stem as far down as where that disjointed leaf attaches!

4. This one really just screams 'snapshot' to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but in this case I don't find much to recommend it. Her expression is rather odd, the background dark and distracting, and the horizontal orientation? Well... that's been mentioned.

Overall, they're a nice set of shots. If I may suggest something, spend a day shooting ONLY subjects which need a portrait orientation. Get yourself in the habit of using the camera both ways.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Sounds like a great adventure.I like the symmetry of the first photo feels as if your moving to places unknown. 2&4 Seem more like snapshots to me. 3 Is a nice strong image.

@tirediron - Thank you for the critique! I always find it extremely helpful when I get specific pointers on my shots. In regards to #1, I always seem to catch these long, empty spaces but never find the need to fill them with a subject. I feel like the space itself is what draws me to the shot, however I will try to plant/catch subjects in my future shots and compare with and without. Who knows -- maybe I don't know what I'm missing :)

#2 and #4 were both snapshots, and you hit the nail on the head. I get caught up trying to get candids so often I don't consider the background I'm shooting on. I'm trying to find a mix between natural expressions and planned shots, it's harder than I thought!

I will definitely be trying portraits shots more often, and I completely see what you are getting at with the plant. Now that I look at it I wish I could have captured the bottom of the stalk as well. Thanks for the tips!

@Greggh and Sidney, thanks for the comments :) Vertical lines are an obsession for me.

Most reactions

Back