Switched from iMac to PC, question about monitor differences

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

It's been a while!

So I recently sold my 2011 21" iMac and built a PC. The monitor i'm using now is the Dell Ultrasharp u2412m. I love this monitor, but I have noticed something: when viewing photos on this monitor, noise/pixelation/grainy-ness is much more apparent.

When I view these same images on the iMac monitor they are much smoother in appearance and the grain isn't as apparent. I don't understand this! Is it simply the glossy glass of the mac?

The iMac has the backlit LED with IPS technology, whereas the Dell is backlit LED with TFT Active matrix. At least according to CNET's online pages. Pixel pitch of the Dell is 0.27mm; perhaps the iMac simply has a finer pixel pitch, in addition to the IPS versus TFT.

As I recall, there were/are TWO generations of 2011 iMac 21.5's made...specs might be different on the earlier versus later ones.

Could be a zoom scale issue. Sometimes, images will look a little pixelated when viewed at odd zoom levels (33%, 66% etc) and look much better when zoomed to 100%, 50% or 25%.

I don't know if it's related or not, but it could be that you system and/or video card are not fully recomputing the images until you refresh the view, one way or another.

I seem to remember there being an issue with Photoshop and older video cards...something to do with opengl driver compatibility.

See if you can track down Garbz....he could probably answer any questions you have.

The iMac has the backlit LED with IPS technology, whereas the Dell is backlit LED with TFT Active matrix. At least according to CNET's online pages. Pixel pitch of the Dell is 0.27mm; perhaps the iMac simply has a finer pixel pitch, in addition to the IPS versus TFT.

The Dell u2412m is an IPS monitor as well.

As for the OPs question, I am not sure. Realistically, the major difference between the two monitors would be the PPI density and matte vs. glass finish. Also, are both monitors calibrated the same? It's hard to judge or compare 2 monitors if they're not calibrated.

As I recall, there were/are TWO generations of 2011 iMac 21.5's made...specs might be different on the earlier versus later ones.

Thanks! But the Dell is an IPS monitor as well so that doesn't seem like that is the issue.

Could be a zoom scale issue. Sometimes, images will look a little pixelated when viewed at odd zoom levels (33%, 66% etc) and look much better when zoomed to 100%, 50% or 25%.

I don't know if it's related or not, but it could be that you system and/or video card are not fully recomputing the images until you refresh the view, one way or another.

I seem to remember there being an issue with Photoshop and older video cards...something to do with opengl driver compatibility.

See if you can track down Garbz....he could probably answer any questions you have.

Hmm, definitely not this either because I notice this in PS, lightroom, Flickr, my desktop wallpaper!

Also, it's unlikely to be the graphics card. The card in my new PC is a radeon 7870 2 GB which destroys the GPU that was in the iMac (6770)

The Dell u2412m is an IPS monitor as well.

As for the OPs question, I am not sure. Realistically, the major difference between the two monitors would be the PPI density and matte vs. glass finish. Also, are both monitors calibrated the same? It's hard to judge or compare 2 monitors if they're not calibrated.

Do you know the PPI for the dell vs the iMac??

Measure the screen width and height. Divide by the screen resolution value you have set to determine the ppi.

Screen display pixel resolution is adjustable, so ppi is not a fixed value.

Measure the screen width and height. Divide by the screen resolution value you have set to determine the ppi.

Screen display pixel resolution is adjustable, so ppi is not a fixed value.

Thanks!

But do you have any ideas why I am noticing this difference in monitors? I know you are an expert!

Last edited by a moderator:

I despise Dell computers... :confused:

I built my own: i5 4670k, asrock z87 extreme 6, 16 GB ddr3 16000, samsung 840 PRO SSD, radeon 7870. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
fwiw, for $400 you can buy (via micro center or ebay sellers) 27" 2560x1440 IPS displays that are the exact same model as is in the 27" cinema display. I know you already have a nice display (ultrasharp are fantastic monitors) but I thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone reading this thread is interested. I have one and IPS is definitely the way to go for critical color work.

Most reactions

Back