Switching teams

Karalee

hOtLiPs!
Reaction score
Website
www.shuttervisions.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im thinking of switching over to nikon, lately i have been a bit disheartened by canon, the high prices of the bodies and lenses, and just not finding what I need (or would like) to have without paying through the nose. So I am wondering if anyone had sold their equipment before to switch to another brand i.e a canon shooter switching to nikon or vise versa? Also wondering if anyone has shot with both and come out with liking one over the other, I know theres some couples here with a nikon and canon shooter. Were there any advantages or disadvantages, or is it a case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence? Not trying to start yet another canon vs nikon thing, just curious??

I don't think i need to tell you that photography is expensive, but I don't know how making the switch could save you money in the long run. If you do that, you'll have to buy a new body (or bodies), new lenses, new flashes, and things like that if you already have them. If you don't, and say you have a Canon Rebel kit, than sure. Go ahed and make the switch if you want because it won't be too expensive in the long run.

I use my school's 10 and 5D's alot, and the more I use them, the happier I am I shoot Nikon. The operation of Nikon's camera's make sense to me, Canon's don't and I hate using them as a result (especially the 10D's). I also get consistently sharper files from my 35-70 f/2.8 on my D70s than I have the 24-70 f/2.8L on the 10D at every aperture except f/22. My 35-70 is also all metal yet less than half the price of the plastic 24-70!

I switched from Canon to Nikon about 5 years ago... not for any good reason I just liked the operation of the Nikon better. I've never looked back.

My father is a pro and he shoots Canon... I used his 30D over the holidays once or twice and I hated it! I liked the results, but I'm not a fan of the layout or operation of the camera.

I'm with you on not starting a Nikon/Canon thing, but I know someone will. This is my opinion and it's entirely a preference on the way Nikons feel to me.

Nikon glass isn't cheap either... but that's okay because it's amazing.

Try out a nice Nikon DSLR for a bit and see what you think. With a D80 and few Nikon Pro lenses I can whip my dad for quality... but again this is all my opinion... calm down Canon people. :mrgreen:

Oh trust me I learnt a loooong time ago that this wasnt going to be a cheap hobby. Mostly Im looking to upgrade, and trying to weigh out if it would be better for me to buy a new body to get what I want or just sell everything I own (10d, elan 7 flash, and some really nice lenses) and go with nikon because they have bodies that would be suitable for me. Waiting for canons new releases, is driving me nuts. I want to get myself sorted out with my gear, because Im going back to art school in NZ, and well, I wont have a lot of dough for these kind of things, so Im looking to set myself up for the next 3 or 4 yrs.

I personally think it's going to cost you a lot more to switch than to just get the Canon stuff you want. I haven't looked recently, but I don't think the prices differ that much for similar quality. Most of the differences I know of relate to user interface preference. I haven't used Nikon though, so I don't have personal experience with it. I'd say the same thing to someone thinking of going from Nikon to Canon.

I think you might want to take a serious look at why you want to switch. Is there some part in the back of your mind that might be thinking that it will give your photography a kick or somehow improve it? You probably know that's not the case logically, but our emotions don't often listen to logic. How do you feel about it?

What is there about your current equipment that you aren't happy about that Nikon has? What lens do you want that Nikon has for noticeably cheaper? What do you need that lens for?

I agree with Mark. The switch would be more epensive than a couple lf L lenses or whatever you are coveting from the Canon line. If you want to make it for some reason other than a financial one then I would see that as no problem. But to do it to save money seems to me to be the wrong approach. Most photographers, including some Nikon shooters like me, consider Canon the design and technology leader and Nikon the follower. It is hard for me to imagine what kind of camera body Nikon would have that Canon does not but, truthfully, I'm not very familiar with the Canon line.

Most reactions

Back