SX510hs equipment

oldskooler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello folks,

as I said in introduction, I'm new to this, so sorry for noob questions, and also for not so good English :)
Here's my 'problem'... I have Canon SX510hs, bought it for learning some skills, etc.
I found on ebay lens hood, lens adapter, filters,... so I'd like to buy them.
I didn't knew that this type of cameras can handle additional lenses.
So, does anybody know what adapter size do I need for this camera?
I found 52mm and 55mm (if I understood, that is outside diameter) but there is no information what is inside diameter size, that goes directly on my camera.
I measured diameter on my camera, and it is 41mm if I'm right?
So we can say that I need adapter that converts 41mm to 52mm or 55mm?
Here is a YT video to show what I meant...

That is first noob question in a row, I will have it more later :)

Thanks!

Hello folks,

as I said in introduction, I'm new to this, so sorry for noob questions, and also for not so good English :)
Here's my 'problem'... I have Canon SX510hs, bought it for learning some skills, etc.
I found on ebay lens hood, lens adapter, filters,... so I'd like to buy them.
I didn't knew that this type of cameras can handle additional lenses.
So, does anybody know what adapter size do I need for this camera?
I found 52mm and 55mm (if I understood, that is outside diameter) but there is no information what is inside diameter size, that goes directly on my camera.
I measured diameter on my camera, and it is 41mm if I'm right?
So we can say that I need adapter that converts 41mm to 52mm or 55mm?
Here is a YT video to show what I meant...

That is first noob question in a row, I will have it more later :)

Thanks!

The SX510 won't accept additional lenses. It will accept filters and a lens hood by way of the adapter ring. Canon doesn't specify an adapter size for the 510 nor do they provide a model number that works. When I input "filter adapter for Canon SX510" into a search engine, I get back several responses. One is for a "
Canon Filter Adapter FA-DC67A" from B&H; Canon Powershot Sx510 Hs Filter Adapter | B&H Photo Video The description of the item though doesn't specifically state it will fit the 510.

I'd contact Canon directly though their customer support information found on the webpage for the 510. They can give you the best information I would think.

The SX510 won't accept additional lenses. It will accept filters and a lens hood by way of the adapter ring. Canon doesn't specify an adapter size for the 510 nor do they provide a model number that works. When I input "filter adapter for Canon SX510" into a search engine, I get back several responses. One is for a "
Canon Filter Adapter FA-DC67A" from B&H; Canon Powershot Sx510 Hs Filter Adapter | B&H Photo Video The description of the item though doesn't specifically state it will fit the 510.

I'd contact Canon directly though their customer support information found on the webpage for the 510. They can give you the best information I would think.

Thanks for the reply soufiej!
I will listen to you and contact Canon.
But in meantime, found these lenses - macro, close-up, wide angle...

Close Up Macro Lens Filter Kit Accessories for Canon PowerShot SX510 SX500 | eBay

They said that it fits on this camera model.
You think that isn't correct? I was very happy when I found this, but if you said that they don't fit, I don't won't to throw money for no reason...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What you are seeing are lens elements that attach to the front of a lens. They will give you a semblance of close-up or wide-angle that is usually very poor. The focus is usually very soft, especially on the edges since the elements are not part of the original lens design.

What you are seeing are lens elements that attach to the front of a lens. They will give you a semblance of close-up or wide-angle that is usually very poor. The focus is usually very soft, especially on the edges since the elements are not part of the original lens design.

This is not what I wanted to hear... But thank you very much for the explanation, I appreciate that.
One more thing about this - is there any way to mount 'manual focus lens' just to use it for blurring (and than clearing) effect while filming? Because I don't have that possibility while recording, I can set-up manual focus only before I start recording...
I'm aware that this is not DSLR but I'd like to try to make some cool videos (and photos) with this I currently have :)

Use the old trick of smearing a little Vaseline over the lens front. A little all over or just around the edges, etc. Vaseline is a brand name for "white petroleum jelly".

Thanks for the reply soufiej!
I will listen to you and contact Canon.
But in meantime, found these lenses - macro, close-up, wide angle...

Close Up Macro Lens Filter Kit Accessories for Canon PowerShot SX510 SX500 | eBay

They said that it fits on this camera model.
You think that isn't correct? I was very happy when I found this, but if you said that they don't fit, I don't won't to throw money for no reason...

First, I wouldn't smear anything directly on the 510's lens. Matter of opinion possibly, but there is no neutral density filter extraneous to the lens of this camera. If you create a blur effect with Vaseline on the actual lens, you might have some problems cleaning the lens of the Vaseline when you don't want the effect. If you end up with a second (and totally redundant) ND filter and you want this effect coming from the camera, then I would use the Vaseline on the filter but never on the camera's lens itself. The better option though, IMO, is to use your image processing software to do the trick and not (literally) mess with anything on the camera or any filter used on the camera. I believe the 510 has a "toy camera" setting which might do what you are looking for without any additional filters or Vaseline. Read your owner's manual again to find out what the camera can actually do before you start to buy things you don't need and won't use which might actually harm your ability to take higher quality shots. And read what your image processing software can do. You'll just about need some sort of processing system to get the files from the 510 to a printed image. Most any basic software can apply this effect during the post production stages and you'll have far more control over the result and, if you've backed up the file before you begin changing it, you can always undo with software. IMO digital cameras have some serious side effects for those of us who are still looking at the great shots we took with film. However, manipulating the image, changing your mind and starting over is one area where digital is really the better format. Learn to use what modern technology can do for you that is on the positive side. You might need that six year old to explain the how's of it at first but image processing becomes rather same ol', same ol' after you get the hang of applying your favorite tricks. And, as long as you've backed up the file to another storage device, you can always undo what you care to. In other words, what you have in the file can be any number of images before it gets printed.

Regarding the "lens kit"; yes, these are supplemental add ons to the fixed lens of the 510. In other words, you can't change out the 510 lens for another with greater zoom or a different aperture range. You can use the OEM 510 lens and that's really it. And chances are you wouldn't ever need a different lens unless you needed a faster lens for, say, stop action sports photography or for very low light shooting. Those seem to be the two weakest points of the Canon and they aren't deal breakers for a lot of people. Nor does this kit do anything to change those two weaknesses into strengths.

The items in the kit are, IMO, of dubious value on a camera such as the 510. Most importantly, anything you place in front of the existing lens will affect the image quality of the camera. As with most super zoom cameras on the market, the sensor in the 510 is the smallest possible which means you really don't want to make it have to work harder to take a good shot. Particularly when Canon has built in the abilities in the camera to do a lot of what this kit promises. It's not likely that a kit at this price will have the greatest quality optics and it's almost a sure bet the add ons will lower the available light reaching the sensor. Not a great idea for a camera such as the 510. The wide angle lens doesn't do much IMO since the 510 has a reasonably wide lens capacity to begin with. There is also a fish eye effect (accessed through the menu) on the 510 which should be adjustable so you'd be duplicating alot of what the 510 can do with the twist of a knob or the flick of a menu switch and probably not gaining any real quality by using this add on. The macro lens diopters allow for closer-in focusing but, again, the 510 has a focal length that is virtually 0 cm away from the subject. That distance does vary with the focal length you're using but still the 510 is quite good at this spec without adding anything to the lens. Given the tremendous focal range of the 510, even with the otherwise somewhat average lens on the 510, it's difficult for me to envision a situation where this add on would actually be added onto the 510. IMO the greatest advantage of the super zooms is the amount of money it would cost and all the hassle you would have of carrying and applying all the lenses and filters and so forth if you wanted all the features the one zoom lens offers. There are certainly trade offs for this one does all approach but, if you've chosen the 510 to match the type of photography you prefer, you just need to learn how to get the most out of this one lens. In the right situations, it's a pretty powerful tool.

The three piece filter set again duplicates several of the functions in the camera. There is a neutral density filter in the lens as it comes from the factory. You don't need another unless you are seriously into Vaseline. The "FLD" filter is for use under flourescent lighting. The 510 can correct for this and other lighting types in the menu so you have no need for this filter. The 510 also does custom white balance which would make this filter totally useless. Read your owner's manual. The polarizing filter is a good addition if you are shooting landscapes in rather hazy conditions which present some glare to the lens. Read about the use of a polarizing filter and decide if this would be useful for you and the type of photography you intend for the 510. There are other uses for a polarizer but this is still a sometimes addition in most cases and it will definitely knock down the available light entering the lens. I would have to doubt at this price the filter is top notch and you'll still be duplicating alot of features built into the camera with the other items in this kit. The lens hood can be useful though probably not something you'd use very often. It will reduce lens flare which, if i remember correctly, isn't exactly a problem with the 510. The adapter ring alone will likely run you the cost of this entire kit if purchased separately. That might be a reason to buy the kit though, as always, you get what you pay for in most cases and I would be suspicious of the durability of something thrown into such an otherwise rather useless "kit". The 510 should have come with a lens cap, right? And a string to attach to the lens cap? Really? It too should have come with the 510. The rest of the kit is mostly made up of items you don't need or can buy or find otherwise. IMO this assembly of items is meant more for the profit of the retailer than the use of the camera owner though there are a few "goodies" which might be of value to you. You'll have to decide whether the value of the polarizing lens and the adapter are worth your money but the rest of this kit isn't IMO and either duplicates what the camera and software can do far, far better or offers the opportunity to actually lower the image quality of the 510

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks ALOT soufiej, I mean ALOOOOT!
That was very nicely described and I'm very very thankful to you for sharing and writing all of this.
I've read in your post everything I was wondering earlier about making photos.

Also, dennybeal thank you for your comment.
I saw that people using vaseline for blurring, but I'm not quite sure how that will give me effect that I wanted?
I wanted to somehow make blurring effect while recording - filming, not making photos.
I do have manual focus, but I can use it just before i click record. I wanted to make some extended lens that will give me blur effect while I'm rotating it?
Maybe I can't describe that on the right way, so here is video for example of manual focusing while filming:

Is there any way to use manual focus lens from some DSLRs?

Thanks to all who spend their time to resolve my noob and beginner questions!

Some of the cost savings on a compact camera such as the 510 comes from the fixed lens design; a single, non-interchangeable lens which covers focal lengths from medium wide angle to moderate zoom. So, no, the 510 has one single lens which you cannot exchange for another. This can be seen as both good and bad since the compact cameras tend to have small sensors (with overall lower image quality) a single lens designed specifically for that sensor can place a significant amount of the image over the entire sensor resulting in improved image quality (a benefit). The single lens also makes for a more portable camera when compared to a DSLR with numerous lenses.

I'd say learn to use the 510 until you seriously feel it is holding back your ability to capture the image you see in your head. At that point you'll probably be a candidate for an entry level DSLR and you can keep the 510 as a carry around everyday camera.

Most reactions

Back