Sydney IR collection

alex1030

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought a D50 for IR photography and I found its CCD is producing extremely well IR images. Just taken some around sydney area and please give some comments, thank you. :)
58156956.jpg

58157552.jpg

58188612.jpg

58197016.jpg

58262581.jpg

58263631.jpg

58263975.jpg

58264064.jpg

58264240.jpg

For more please visit
http://www.pbase.com/alex1030/ir_australia

I have never tried my hand at IR photography, but I am strongly thinking about it, especially after seeing posts like this. I must say my favourite is #2

:thumbsup: ...... more fantastic shots!....... are you using the hoya IR filter with the D50..... or have you modified the sensor?..... number 2 is great, but i also like the b+w's :thumbup:

Wow, more absolutely stunning Alex1030-pics!
I have been thinking about IR for a while, and keep thinking whether at one time sooner or later I would want to give it a try, too ... these look like it may be worth it! Very good.

Apart from 2, which I like as much as everyone else here does (since it IS that good!), I am also a big, big fan of #6 here! That one is so crisp and clear and all black and white, I mean: ALL black and white (almost). Very impressive!!

wow i love these, i bought an infrared filter but can't work out how to make the photos look like that, i'm stoopid. Can you teach me

Archangel said:
:thumbsup: ...... more fantastic shots!....... are you using the hoya IR filter with the D50..... or have you modified the sensor?..... number 2 is great, but i also like the b+w's :thumbup:

Thank you everyone for the comments!!! It is my great pleasure to post photos here!!!:heart:

For the D50, I only used the Hoya IR R72 filter to shoot. I did not have any modification with the senosr. Actually, i tried to use D2X with this filter, however, the result is not as good as the D50. I guess it was the problem of the D2X CMOS sensor in compare to the D50 CCD.

And to rallyxe

Before i take the photos, i will set the white balance of the camera with the filter on. U may aware that, once u put the filter on, u cannot really see anything. After u measured the white balance, u can composed the frame. When everything is ready, it is very simple, just put the filter in and shoot. They will come out grey, brownish images instead of red colour image due to the PRE SET white balance. It is always good to shoot RAW, so that allows u to adjust the white balance further when u get home. There is actually not much tricks behind the shot from my opinion. I hope my english isn't too bad, and u will understand what i mean. :hugs:

These are super. I also have the D50 with the R72, but my IR shots are nowhere near this nice. Although, I have only tried once or twice with my IR filter. I need to learn how to do the preset white balance. I do my additional white balance correction in RawShooter, which is really nice! What lens do you find most acceptable in your IR photos? I have read that using 50mm 1.8 is a good one to use. I think I will try my next IR with my 50mm lens. Do you set your white balance to Preset by using a white piece of paper?

Another brilliant series. Awesome work.

Most reactions

Back