SyncToy and 10,000 shots

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use SyncToy from Windows which works great to sync my laptops 500G hard drive to the 500 external.

I try to keep all my pictures on one hard drive (the laptop) and have them backed up to the external. I will be shooting a dance competiton next weekend (the 20th) and once gone through all the picture (I'm expecting 10,000+) I will not want to keep them on my laptop hard drive, but just on my external incase I need them.

When you sync using SyncToy, if finds the changes and mirrors everything, but if I transfer them to my external and the program doesn't see them on my laptop HD, will it delete them from my external?

Is there any other option? I could burn to CD/DVD, but I'd like to have them on the external. When I start running out of room, I will burn to DVD then.

Thanks!

~Michael~

SyncToy has the following options:

• Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.
  • Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.
  • Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.
Contribute is the 'safe' option for your use.

These options are all part of the program options when you set up a 'Folder pair'

Thanks for your input.

Seeing as I probably wouldn't need these pictures that much, for editing or burning CD's for clients, I'm just going to make a new folder on the external drive but I won't sync it up so as far as the program is concerned, it's like it doesn't even know it's there.

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back