Syrp VND color

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive never used a VND before so im sure its user error. I have always used normal ND. I got it for video. Some of my shots, Stills and video, have a very heavy shadow in the bottom left and this green color on the bottom left and top right. next to the green on the top right also has a purple color as well. I noticed also the same shot with a faster shutter speed doesn't have it or as bad at least. Im guessing that Im pushing the VND too far. I have not heard about the green color though. Is that an effect from pushing it too far as well?
here is the sample image

Attachments

• EOSR0482.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
Wide angle lens?

A lot of NDs have a colour cast, usually blue or magenta from the ones I've used. The one in your shot looks weird to me though, I'd expect it to be more uniform if it was a colour cast from the filter. Have you tried taking a shot of a neutal coloured wall? It might show what's going on a bit better

A lot of NDs have a colour cast, usually blue or magenta from the ones I've used. The one in your shot looks weird to me though, I'd expect it to be more uniform if it was a colour cast from the filter. Have you tried taking a shot of a neutal coloured wall? It might show what's going on a bit better
I haven't yet. I dont get a lot of time to put into it. I had many shots and some video with this effect. I do think it was at 15mm too. It did seem a little odd. Not just color casting.

Is it a branded VND or a no name? if it's a no name or generic I'd be inclined to just blame poor quality workmanship, maybe uneven coating application. Less so if it's a trusted named brand, though QC issues do happen. Mind you the more I think about it the more it looks to me like one of the coatings is damaged, it's got an uneven smearing look to it. Have you cleaned it with any product that may have damaged the coating?

I do know cpls and uwa lenses can have issues with x banding but that normally happens with skys.

I agree with the above. It certainly look like the filter has an uneven density of coating. Like has been said already ND filters have colour casting issues this is very obvious if you stack them or shoot a picture of a white surface, even the most renowned 100 filters suffer from this issue.

I would normally not recommend shooting with a very wide lens with a screw on ND especially not a Variable version.

Variable ND are to often worthless, these tend to result in loos of sharpness (compared to ND) and have wired colour casting issues, the infamous black cross issue and giving reflective surfaces odd tones. It’s known problems.

Sorry for the lapse in time. I never really heard the name but the brand is Syrp (I believe it is spelled) it seemed to have great reviews online and a good bang for the buck.
To update i noticed it was really the darkest 20% of the ND. I can take it up to 80% fairly well. It's still not perfect. Shooting so wide makes it troublesome. I threw it on my 24-70 and it seems better. The odd colors in the corners seem to go away. Maybe they just stink with wide and UWA lenses. It's mostly for video so I have just been staying out of harsh direct light when I can. Work with what I have.
Thanks for the feedback everyone

Most reactions

Back