T-mount lens compatibility

RobG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I've been browsing around for a while but I've got a question and thought I'd post it to see if someone might be able to help me out. :thumbup:

I inherited and bought some used photo equipment over the past year and have been using it pretty regularly. But there's a telephoto lens that just doesn't seem to work with either of my camera bodies.

I have an Olympus OM-G (or OM-20 if you're not in U.S.), and a Ricoh KR-5. The Ricoh has a K-mount type bayonet so it accepts Pentax lenses, etc., for example.

The telephoto lens is threaded with the T-mount type threads. It's a Super Takumar 200 mm f/4 lens.

I have T-mount adaptors for each camera body so that I can connect the telephoto lens to either one. However, with both camera bodies, I found that I cannot focus the image at infinity! The furthest I can focus is maybe 10 yards away. I'm not an expert at optics, but I know this has something to do with the fact that the telephoto lens is further away from the camera body than it should be.

Does anyone know if there's a fix for this? If not, what kind of camera body will work with this telephoto lens?

Thanks for any help! ;)

RobG

RobG said:
The telephoto lens is threaded with the T-mount type threads. It's a Super Takumar 200 mm f/4 lens.

Are you sure that it has a T-mount, or is it the original Pentax screw-thread. The original
Takumars, I believe, were all built for the Pentax's of the time which were screw thread
cameras.

It sounds like the adapters you have are adding too much space between the lens
and the camera. There is(was) an adpter for the K-Mount bodies that accepted the
Pentax screw-thread lenses and maintained the infinity focus.

Thanks for the reply Orrin. You know, I really didn't know that there was a difference between the T-mount thread and the old Pentax screw-thread. They are definitely very close, however, because I had no problem screwing the Takumar telephoto lens onto the T-mount adaptors I bought for the camera bodies.

Thanks for the help :thumbup: - I'll try to see if I can get one of those adaptors you mentioned. It would be pretty cool to be able to use this telephoto lens!

-RobG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back