T & P Train Station - Shot #3

Rick Waldroup

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.rickwphotography.com
T & P Train Station - Fort Worth, TX - August 28, 2008 - Shot #3

103613771.jpg

It looks really grainy but sometimes that could be a good thing. It all really depends on what you think. Could give it an old effect. My advice would to make the ISO higher.

Flash doesn't always give a photo a great look but I learned a trick once. You get a small mirror or even white sheet of paper and hold it in front of the flash and when it goes off it will make it not look so harsh. Give it a try!

It looks really grainy but sometimes that could be a good thing. It all really depends on what you think. Could give it an old effect. My advice would to make the ISO higher.

Flash doesn't always give a photo a great look but I learned a trick once. You get a small mirror or even white sheet of paper and hold it in front of the flash and when it goes off it will make it not look so harsh. Give it a try!

Thanks for the comments.

I like it. But, I interpret things differently occasionally. Instead of a simple train station, I see the quitters of the great human experiment extirpating themselves into the deep and narrow recesses of the social void- one unclean loser at a time. Reminds me of Vegas, but single file.

I like it. But, I interpret things differently occasionally. Instead of a simple train station, I see the quitters of the great human experiment extirpating themselves into the deep and narrow recesses of the social void- one unclean loser at a time. Reminds me of Vegas, but single file.

Thanks Abraxas. Yes, you are close to what I was trying to portray here. I have been riding trains lately and my shots have been concentrated on showing the vastness of the multitudes who ride them while also showing the sheer lonliness or emptiness of those involved. I don't know if I am getting this right, but these shots are a work in progress. I will be on a couple of trains today, as a matter of fact.

Glad to see you. I have been off the forum for about a month due to computer problems and I have also been busy shooting, for a change. ;)

By the way, the camera was a Ricoh GRDII which I gave a slight "wiggle" during the exposure to get the motion in the shot.

I'm not seeing the over graining that was mentioned earleir....but I do have to ask, Where you walking when you took this? I'm curious.

No, I was not walking. I actually stopped on the stairs, composed the shot very quickly and then just very, very slightly jiggled the camera when I snapped it. I was trying to convey a motion feel to the shot with the people walking down into the dark tunnel, to give it a slightly surreal look. I don't know if I necessarily got it right, but that was my intent. :er:

This camera does have issues with noise at higher ISO's, as most small P&S cameras do. Although the Ricoh is a little better in that regard, the noise or grain can be very pronounced at times. The trick is to make it work to your advantage. I have only had the camera for about a month and I am just now starting to shoot with it. So far, I have been very impressed with the quality of it and it is also a lot of fun shooting such a small camera. I use an external viewfinder on it instead of the monitor for composing the shots. In fact, I turn the monitor off and very rarely do I ever use it, even for chimping. :)

Last edited:
No, I was not walking. I actually stopped on the stairs, composed the shot very quickly and then just very, very slightly jiggled the camera when I snapped it. I was trying to convey a motion feel to the shot with the people walking down into the dark tunnel, to give it a slightly surreal look. I don't know if I necessarily got it right, but that was my intent. :er:

Well...I guess that my asking if you where walking means you sucedded in the motion part to some extent :D

Not sure what I think. I understand the concept as expanded and technique. But I’ am having a hard time dealing with the total lack of any remotely forced area. My mine set has always been to want more sharpness in settings like this with moving subjects and low light with out being intrusive. Just seen like a snap shot that I could have taken as a kid with my 126 instamatic. Sorry

Last edited:
Not sure what I think. I understand the concept as expanded and technique. But I’ am having a hard time dealing with the total lack of any remotely forced area. My mine set has always been to want more sharpness in settings like this with moving subjects and low light with out being intrusive. Just seen like a snap shot that I could have taken as a kid with my 126 instamatic. Sorry

Thanks for the comments, Jeff.

Most reactions

Back