T3i, lenses, and backpacking/backcountry set up.

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by cole4570, May 22, 2014.

1. cole4570

cole4570 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all. I currently have the T3i and the kit 18-55. I am an avid backpacker and spend many muti day trips in the backcountry. I am trying to come up with a set up that is, one, light, and two, not full of lenses. I primarily take landscape and night photos, some wildlife (when close enough); a bit of macro i.e. flowers, lichen, fish. I have many hobbies and unfortunately can't afford L series lenses, YET! I was hoping to have a max of two lenses. A telephoto and a macro? This is why I am asking. I was hoping to be within the 300-400 dollar range per lens. I understand you get what you pay for, but everyone has to start somewhere. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Civchic

Civchic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a T3 and most of my photos are while hiking. I have a thing for birds so my favourite lens is the 55-250 f/4-f/5.6 IS. It gets decently close (although you still have to sneak up) and the 55mm at the low end is alright for people/buildings/etc. You can get it for under $200 and for entry level glass I'm really happy with mine. It's lightweight too. I must admit I'm still relying on the 18-55 kit lens for wide angle shots but I'd like to get the Tamron 10-24mm someday.

I have a 50mm f/1.8 as well but I only use that one indoors.

3. DaninMD

DaninMD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    for macro on the cheap, but a vintage 100mm macro lens. you can get them pretty cheap, and will just need to buy an adapter. don't by a vintage canon though as you need an optical adapter that is expensive. I would get something in a M42 mount. with close up macro you are going to be manually focusing most of the time anyway so its really not that big of a disadvantage. you can get a nice vintage 100mm macro and an adapter for less than $200. if you were budgeting $400 per lens, then that leaves you with about $600 for the other lens.

4. Bamps

Bamps Guest

5. TheNevadanStig

TheNevadanStig No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

You could get a Sigma 70-300 macro and knock out both macro shots and wildlife. One less lens to be hauling up and down the mountain that way. I absolutely love mine.