• T4i

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 7D

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Wait for Canon to release new camera.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like others have said, if you're looking for better "looking" pictures, the 7D, t3i, t4i will all give you similar results. I have a t3i and purchased the 7d as my "upgrade" camera, but then quickly realized I really wasn't getting that much of a technical upgrade so I took it back and purchased a 5DM3. I love the t3i and get great results with it. Like others have said, keep the t3i and invest in better glass. But if you really want to upgrade the body...the 5dm3 is nice. ;)
I second that advice. It is logical and wise. Even if we invest in "L" glass and mount it on a cheap body it is not going to give us the desired result. The DxOMark comparision charts are proof of that. There is a button under the lens pic where you can select different bodies for mount and you will be surprised to see the poor results a cheap body can give even with L lens. So, if one has to upgrade then it should be body+glass and not the body alone.

There are so many good suggestions on here that I might be getting overwhelmed by it all...haha.

I think the common theme has obviously been getting a new lens vice new body. I will continue to weigh options and when the right opportunity presents itself then I will know.

Juga, look at the last 500 images you've taken, and of the ones that didn't work, figure out whether it was due to technical or other reasons. If technical, was it due to not enough light, blur due to movement, lack of image sharpness, lack of reach, lack of breadth? Which of those shots would you really, really have wanted to get? Depending on what you find, you will see whether you need more light, better lenses, or a better body. We all have our biases and our own experience informs our advice to you, but it may not be relevant. What you have to figure out is what is your most common limitation that is preventing you from getting the majority of the not-so-great shots. Once you have that answer, you will have a clearer idea of where you need to spend time/money/effort.

Juga, look at the last 500 images you've taken, and of the ones that didn't work, figure out whether it was due to technical or other reasons. If technical, was it due to not enough light, blur due to movement, lack of image sharpness, lack of reach, lack of breadth? Which of those shots would you really, really have wanted to get? Depending on what you find, you will see whether you need more light, better lenses, or a better body. We all have our biases and our own experience informs our advice to you, but it may not be relevant. What you have to figure out is what is your most common limitation that is preventing you from getting the majority of the not-so-great shots. Once you have that answer, you will have a clearer idea of where you need to spend time/money/effort.

The best advice given yet on this forum. Thanks!

Well a lot of people think your belittling them and get very angry,but what do you think about getting better lenses then upgrading the body?

Well a lot of people think your belittling them and get very angry,but what do you think about getting better lenses then upgrading the body?

That is unfortunate if people really think that because I value all opinions unless someone is arrogant, rude, or condescending. I think upgrading lenses would be good if it gets the results I want. There is so much to consider.

Also the 7D is expandable to 12800 ISO which is significant compared to 6400. Also if you read my posts earlier you would have read that I am also considering the 6D which is a significant jump in low light shooting as well.
"expandable" does not mean it provides real 12800 ISO (so, more noise).
If you look on DXOmark, T4i sensor is actually slightly worst than T3 in terms of noise (and different from 7D, which is slightly better and the same as T3i, T2i, 60D). So, not much gain in terms of low light -gain you could have with a lens with larger aperture. From this my suggestion for a Tamron 17-50/2.8, good value for money, and two stops of gain at tele end. Or go cheap, buy a Yongnuo flash + wireless trigger and become a strobist

pgriz is absolutely correct, but enzodm is spot on. It seems that you have figured that your most common limitation that is preventing you from getting the majority of the not-so-great shots is lack of light. OK, good. Now, upgrading to either of these models will have little effect on that. Don't waste your money. You would need to spend way beyond your budget to get a much better body in order to produce significantly better results in this area. So that doesn't solve your problem does it? You are still faced with the lack of light delema. So this leaves you with 2 other choices with your limited budget, faster glass and/or lighting of some kind. For the amount you would spend on a body upgrade, that would have practically no effect, you could purchase the Tamron 17-50/2.8, a Yongnuo flash and wireless triggers and realize a staggering improvement in what you would be able to produce. It's really not that complicated.

It's unfortunate that you are confusing a willingness to help with arrogant, rude, or condescending. I can see you are new here. So much still to learn. I'll just leave it at that. Cheers.

Also the 7D is expandable to 12800 ISO which is significant compared to 6400. Also if you read my posts earlier you would have read that I am also considering the 6D which is a significant jump in low light shooting as well.
If you look on DXOmark, T4i sensor is actually slightly worst than T3 in terms of noise (and different from 7D, which is slightly better and the same as T3i, T2i, 60D). So, not much gain in terms of low light -gain you could have with a lens with larger aperture. From this my suggestion for a Tamron 17-50/2.8, good value for money, and two stops of gain at tele end. Or go cheap, buy a Yongnuo flash + wireless trigger and become a strobist

pgriz is absolutely correct, but enzodm is spot on. It seems that you have figured that your most common limitation that is preventing you from getting the majority of the not-so-great shots is lack of light. OK, good. Now, upgrading to either of these models will have little effect on that. Don't waste your money. You would need to spend way beyond your budget to get a much better body in order to produce significantly better results in this area. So that doesn't solve your problem does it? You are still faced with the lack of light delema. So this leaves you with 2 other choices with your limited budget, faster glass and/or lighting of some kind. For the amount you would spend on a body upgrade, that would have practically no effect, you could purchase the Tamron 17-50/2.8, a Yongnuo flash and wireless triggers and realize a staggering improvement in what you would be able to produce. It's really not that complicated.

It's unfortunate that you are confusing a willingness to help with arrogant, rude, or condescending. I can see you are new here. So much still to learn. I'll just leave it at that. Cheers.

I honestly give up with you.

Last edited:

Somebody kill that ant!!

so what did you end up doing??

Well I looked at my financial situation and came up with a budget with what I think will give me the best option. I can't afford the 6D plus the lenses that it requires to use its full potential. The 7D is a nice camera but the difference between the T4i and it wasn't too big, or at least not big enough to stretch my budget. So I am saving for a nice piece of glass and upgraded to the T4i at a great price. The piece of glass I am looking at is the EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM.

It fits my budget and allows me to upgrade lens at the same time. I know some won't agree with the direction I went but I took into account body + lens in relation to my budget.

With your T4i, you can now shoot noisier pics in somewhat less light. And if it is still too dark for your expected f/4 purchase, no worries, for you can always choose to use your convenient, economical, pop-up flash. Of course, by the time you are able to purchase the EF 24-105 f/4 IS USM Canon will have probably released an updated body. Congratulations on your purchase.

With your T4i, you can now shoot noisier pics in somewhat less light. And if it is still too dark for your expected f/4 purchase, no worries, for you can always choose to use your convenient, economical, pop-up flash. Of course, by the time you are able to purchase the EF 24-105 f/4 IS USM Canon will have probably released an updated body. Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks, I am not worried about them updating the body because this one will serve me well for a while. A Speedlite 430EX II is my next immediate purchase so...Thanks for your input however sarcastic it is but lenses are certainly priority. If it helps you understand my move the extra $300 spent on the T4i vs T3 was worth it with the higher resolution, ability to use higher ISO, speed, 1080p video, and speedlite transmitter. I know these are small in comparision to the 7D or 6D but it is what fit my budget best so I can afford things such as the lenses, speedlite, filters, etc. Now it may seem like I am underminding your opinion when in fact I honestly believe that I am taking it into consideration because if I were to upgrade to the 7D then I don't know when I would be able to afford the other little pieces that I need to get the results that I want. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Yes, it makes a little more sense, simply because you now mention your desire for shooting video, something that you didn't mention earlier. For your type of shooting and budget, the T4i is a better choice than the other 2 models.

If you're willing to learn how to use a manual flash, consider the Yongnuo 560II. Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.: Camera & Photo. You'll have money left over for this: Amazon.com: Yongnuo RF-603 C1 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Canon Rebel 300D/350D/400D/450D/500D/550D/1000D Series: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, it makes a little more sense, simply because you now mention your desire for shooting video, something that you didn't mention earlier. For your type of shooting and budget, the T4i is a better choice than the other 2 models.

If you're willing to learn how to use a manual flash, consider the Yongnuo 560II. Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.: Camera & Photo. You'll have money left over for this: Amazon.com: Yongnuo RF-603 C1 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Canon Rebel 300D/350D/400D/450D/500D/550D/1000D Series: Camera & Photo

Shooting video isn't a huge priority of mine but I have to make the wife happy. Happy wife equals happy life right?

Thanks for the suggestion on flash. I will research it because like I said last post, it is my next immediate purchase.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back