Ta-da!

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I met with my friend the other day who is a pro photographer. We went through bout 10 of my photos and out of all of them he only liked 1, and only with it being cropped like 70%. Anyways, he gave me a lot of advice about stuff, and mostly just to keep taking pictures. So that I shall! But I still wonder what you guys think of this one, I didn't show him this one, but I like it.

Now then, I know there's no story to it. I am learning now that I need to take photos that tell a story, but besides that, viewing this as a snapshot, what do you think of it technically?

Attachments

• $221305_4139601381268_1913169251_o.jpg
    $221305_4139601381268_1913169251_o.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 90
Theatrical lighting can be tough to get the whitebalance right. You've done really well here. Were you shooting during an actual run or where they posing for the shots? If it was a quick snap during action, good catch. He's just slightly offcentered. Centered would have been better, or ultimately I would have liked a little more room to the left side. Theater is all about the character, and I think you've grabbed a good hold on that here. It's definitely more than just a headshot of a decent makeup job.

I disagree that centered would have been better.

Not being centered promotes a sense of movement to the left of the frame, which is also where the subject is looking. The off center composition also adds some tension, and drama to the shot that adds to the subjects already dramatic pose.

The offset to the left subject is balanced by the fact the spot of light on stage is offset to the right. It's subtle though because the spot of light doesn't have as much visual weight as the subject.

The photo does need a white balance adjustment, and it could also use some local sharpening since the focus is a bit soft. I would also recommend boosting the mid-tone contrast some which will aid the impression of sharpness.

Hopefully, the image was shot as a Raw file, since JPEGs have very limited editing headroom. The limited editing head room stems from the facts JPEGs can only have an 8-bit color depth and the pixels have been converted into MCU (minimum-coded-units) groups.

A quick edit (white balance, sharpening) the production company could use, and then a crop to increase subject scale the actor could use in a portfolio:

22Edit1305_4139601381268_1913169251_o1.jpg

22Crop1305_4139601381268_1913169251_o1copy.jpg

Last edited:
I am learning now that I need to take photos that tell a story

Depends on what you want to accomplish. Taking photographs that let me tell my own story is even more powerful. Only photojournalists really need the photograph to tell the story, it's optional for everyone else. Mystery is as good as story.

The offset to the left subject is balanced by the fact the spot of light on stage is offset to the left. It's subtle though because the spot of light doesn't have as much visual weight as the subject.

Are you talking stage left? I've looked at it again a couple of times and it looks to be offset right to me (house right). The actor is set left in the pool. I'm going to stick with keeping him to the right of the frame. I like it in your second crop (slightly right of center). He has a very positive expression and is looking forward. It makes me want to be a part of that and look forward with him. I don't think I can do that in this pose if he is set off to the left of the frame.

The offset to the left subject is balanced by the fact the spot of light on stage is offset to the left. It's subtle though because the spot of light doesn't have as much visual weight as the subject.

Are you talking stage left? I've looked at it again a couple of times and it looks to be offset right to me (house right). The actor is set left in the pool. I'm going to stick with keeping him to the right of the frame. I like it in your second crop (slightly right of center). He has a very positive expression and is looking forward. It makes me want to be a part of that and look forward with him. I don't think I can do that in this pose if he is set off to the left of the frame.
Brain fart. Post edited.

Brain fart. Post edited.

No worries. Just had me holding up my hands to look at my thumb and forfinger. "Let's see...... that one looks like an 'L'. Isn't that my left?"

Most reactions

Back