Tablet vs. Chromebook vs. ???

So how does your tablet know its location? Is it seeing the GPSr in the cellphone?

So how does your tablet know its location? Is

Okay let me clear up the confusion. Samsung US tablet uses "A-GPS" (Assisted Global Positioning System), while it's similar it's not GPS hardware. Not sure about versions in other parts of the world but if its WIFI I'm betting it's A-GPS. As I said earlier, it gets the information from the satellites by using network resources, your internet connection and it's triangulation of cell towers. If your tablet has a simm card and an account with a carrier then its showing the tablet location courtesy of A-GPS, if not then its showing the location of the portal you're connected to. Here's a link to the difference A-GPS vs GPS - Difference and Comparison | Diffen. If you go to Samsung tech support they will tell you you have to be connected to the internet. I just verified this by disconnecting from the wifi on my Samsung tablet and trying Google maps app, it will load the last known information, but will not update anything on location.

Sorry, was looking on the move and missed what you said about US Samsung tablets. Is that really the case? I didn't think they would be different than other countries especially Canada

So how does your tablet know its location? Is it seeing the GPSr in the cellphone?

So how does your tablet know its location? Is

Okay let me clear up the confusion. Samsung US tablet uses "A-GPS" (Assisted Global Positioning System), while it's similar it's not GPS hardware. Not sure about versions in other parts of the world but if its WIFI I'm betting it's A-GPS. As I said earlier, it gets the information from the satellites by using network resources, your internet connection and it's triangulation of cell towers. If your tablet has a simm card and an account with a carrier then its showing the tablet location courtesy of A-GPS, if not then its showing the location of the portal you're connected to. Here's a link to the difference A-GPS vs GPS - Difference and Comparison | Diffen. If you go to Samsung tech support they will tell you you have to be connected to the internet. I just verified this by disconnecting from the wifi on my Samsung tablet and trying Google maps app, it will load the last known information, but will not update anything on location.

Which Tablet are you using?

It's still confusing. This is what I know. If a device has no GPS receiver, there's no way to know your location unless through coordination of cell towers information which is not as accurate as an on-board GPS receiver. On the other hand, if you have an on board GPS receiver, you can know your location at any time with no connection to the cell tower such as when you're in the woods. Handheld hiking GPS work that way. You can also use Google maps app to navigate on your cellphone if you pre-loaded the Google maps of the area you're in. However, since you have no connection to the cell tower, you can't get current information such as traffic conditions.

I have a Galaxy Tab S4

@AlanKlein you are correct to a point, it's my understanding that even if a device has a GPS receiver it will default to A-GPS if a WIFI connection is enable. Of the devices I have, that I know have onboard GPS receivers, (Garmin handheld, Magellan GPS Navigation, and built in auto navigation) all rely on onboard map data that must be updated at some point to remain relevant. Otherwise the GPS will show you driving across water for example if it doesn't have the data that shows the new bridge. Using the assisted GPS from my phone I can tell you that over the years I've set up a ton of LZ's for medical evacuations and never had a problem with accuracy.

As to Samsung Tablet I believe there is a lot of confusion as to what constitutes GPS, is it Assisted or is it a hardware receiver. I found this on the Samsung community on the Tab from January of last year that addresses the question Solved: Galaxy Tab Active Pro GPS - Samsung Community - 1066997 if you scroll down in the answers "The device will not perform GPS location without a data connection" sounds pretty definite. I seem to remember something about the Tab A10 being shipped with a receiver, but that wss a third party report. As to futher proof/confirmation, I suggest you contact Samsung support, here's a link for the ways to contact them Contact Us | Official Samsung Support . I can tell you I've always had good experiences with their support.

Ok, As far as I understand it the difference between a Chromebook and a tablet is a chromebook has Google OS, whereas most tablets run Android. Most Chromebooks have a built in keyboard, some tablets can have them as optional extras. Chromebooks are really for cloud based software, but are essentially a small laptop sized tablet, with a built in keyboard.

The difference between a Chromebook and a small laptop is that a Chromebooks have limited functionality, but a similar size. You get the functionality of a tablet, in a small laptop form factor with more limited connectivity.

Windows 10 just introduced phone sync, which will mirror your phone (meaning you can run your phone apps on Windows 10 OS, though I've yet to try this out).

What size of screen are you looking for?

@AlanKlein you are correct to a point, it's my understanding that even if a device has a GPS receiver it will default to A-GPS if a WIFI connection is enable. Of the devices I have, that I know have onboard GPS receivers, (Garmin handheld, Magellan GPS Navigation, and built in auto navigation) all rely on onboard map data that must be updated at some point to remain relevant. Otherwise the GPS will show you driving across water for example if it doesn't have the data that shows the new bridge. Using the assisted GPS from my phone I can tell you that over the years I've set up a ton of LZ's for medical evacuations and never had a problem with accuracy.

As to Samsung Tablet I believe there is a lot of confusion as to what constitutes GPS, is it Assisted or is it a hardware receiver. I found this on the Samsung community on the Tab from January of last year that addresses the question Solved: Galaxy Tab Active Pro GPS - Samsung Community - 1066997 if you scroll down in the answers "The device will not perform GPS location without a data connection" sounds pretty definite. I seem to remember something about the Tab A10 being shipped with a receiver, but that wss a third party report. As to futher proof/confirmation, I suggest you contact Samsung support, here's a link for the ways to contact them Contact Us | Official Samsung Support . I can tell you I've always had good experiences with their support.
Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the S5e. Some marine service web site I found confirmed it has an on-board GPSr hardware receiver that can use any of four satellite system including the USA GPS, Europe's Galileo, Russia's and China's. They're concerned with it because boaters are on the sea away from cell towers and need the actual GPS receiver. Also, the S7 was getting very pricey and I didn't think I needed all that power. Also, I was still concerned that it had assisted GPS not the actual receiver. It would be easy to find out. Just shut off your data and wifi connections and see if you can turn on the GPS using an app that uses location like The Photographer's Ephemeris or Google maps with a pre-loaded map file. If it turns on, then you have the receiver.

I used downloaded maps from Google Maps when I visited the southwest a couple of years ago figuring I'd be in areas with no cell tower reception. But Google requires you to update them monthly if you still need them which is not a big deal when you use wifi. That can be handy if you visit foreign lands and have no cell service. You preload the area maps before you leave. If I recall correctly, if you don't have maps preloaded, and have no cell service, I think Google just shows a general rough map with only major highways. So at least you can plot the general area you're in without being able to navigate. I may be wrong on this as it's been a while since I checked.

Ok, As far as I understand it the difference between a Chromebook and a tablet is a chromebook has Google OS, whereas most tablets run Android. Most Chromebooks have a built in keyboard, some tablets can have them as optional extras. Chromebooks are really for cloud based software, but are essentially a small laptop sized tablet, with a built in keyboard.

The difference between a Chromebook and a small laptop is that a Chromebooks have limited functionality, but a similar size. You get the functionality of a tablet, in a small laptop form factor with more limited connectivity.

Windows 10 just introduced phone sync, which will mirror your phone (meaning you can run your phone apps on Windows 10 OS, though I've yet to try this out).

What size of screen are you looking for?
Thanks for your input. See my last post. The Samsung Tablet S5e has a 10 1/2" screen and weighs a light 14 ounces which is another reason I selected it. I also ordered the keyboard cover and will order an extra mini memory card to raise its storage capability.

This explains why I use battery power so much on my cellphone. If I keep the GPS receiver on all the time, power drains quickly. The settings doesnl;t call it GPSr. They call it something like "More accurateSo I shut it off. Then when I go on the road, navigation doesn't very good sometimes and I get a question asking if I want to put "more accurate location" on to navigate with Google Maps. That's when the cell phone must be turning back on the GPS receiver. Every time I pass a wifi hotspot on the road, it asks me if I want to connect which is a pain. If the GPSr is off, I guess it's using the tower location feedback from the data channel. I'm going to play with these settings a little more with the GPSr off to see just how it doesn't work. This whole thread got me interested in figuring out exactly what's going on. MAnuals are terrible for explaining these things. They're not technical enough.

Sounds like a good choice, having “real” GPS instead of assisted is always a good decision. You can find map software in the google play store that you can store maps on the device and not worry about having a good cell signal. Many even let you customize maps with your own trails, tracks, waypoints, etc. I used to use them when hiking and when I dabbled in gold panning.

Sounds like a good choice, having “real” GPS instead of assisted is always a good decision. You can find map software in the google play store that you can store maps on the device and not worry about having a good cell signal. Many even let you customize maps with your own trails, tracks, waypoints, etc. I used to use them when hiking and when I dabbled in gold panning.
It's always better to have a separate GPS in additional to your cell phone. I have a Garmin that fits in my pocket and uses 2 AA batteries that last hours and hours. It has topographic maps and does all the things you mentioned. I can keep extra AA batteries in my pocket. Relying on a cell phone is not a good idea when you're in the woods. There's no convenient way of recharging phones, laptops, or tablets. When your phone goes dead, your GPS will save you and get you out of there. Just remember to waypoint where you parked your car before you start out.

My backup to a dead battery in the woods is an old school paper topo and compass. You get real funny looks nowadays when you whip one out and make it work.

My backup to a dead battery in the woods is an old school paper topo and compass. You get real funny looks nowadays when you whip one out and make it work.
I have NatGeo Adventure Paper like this to print out topo maps to take with me when I'm in the woods. Good on boats, canoes, etc. It's waterproof, tearproof, wrinkleproof, etc. When you fold it, it doesn't crease. It bends at the fold. The stuff from NatGeo is not available any longer. But it's made of Teslin so check out the second link also. You can print on both sides with a laser or inkjet printer. I would mark off waypoints with NatGeo's 24K topo map systems using my desktop computer. Then print out the map in color and also send the waypoints to my Garmin GPS which also had the same 24K topo maps to follow. So the paper was the backup which I would keep in my pocket with a regular Suunto global orienteering compass that I kept as backup as well to the Garmin.
National Geographic Adventure Paper - Letter - 8.5
https://www.amazon.com/Inkjet-Teslin-Synthetic-Paper-Sheets/dp/B00449PRJ2

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@AlanKlein , going out today to do same search for upgrade. How do you like your new device?
Going from 10 yr old IPad (which I like and still works) to a Samsung device to match my phone.

Nancy, I like it a lot. The larger screen just makes it easier to see and use. Since I have a Samsung Galaxy cellphone, the icons and procedures match in use pretty closely. Although I bought the model with the Verizon Wireless SIM card, I haven't paid Verizon for the added line. ($20 a month) Frankly, I want to save the money and don't see the need since I have my cell with me most of the time. The SIM card does give me some options for the future though, just in case. But you'll have to decide if it's worth it. If you only buy the Wifi TAB model without the SIM, there is a way to use your cell phone as a hotspot anyway and connect the Tab to it for phone calls and messages from the TAB. Note that I don't play games, so I can't comment on how good it operates for that purpose. Some people have said that it's not fast enough for some games. But, I have no experience with games so I don't know personally or if it matters to you.

Oh, I bought the keypad cover. It works very well, has a nice key touch. I can sit on my recliner or couch and operate the keyboard with no problem. It acts as a protective cover as well and was worth the price, for me. I bought the Samsung model, not a knockoff. It causes the TAB to sit at a good angle for viewing and typing. Also, buy a micro-SD card that expands the memory. That way you can dump all your photos, vids, and other high memory use files in there rather than using up internal storage. My internal is 64gb and I bought this expansion card. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...dsqxa1_256g_a_extreme_microsd_256gb_card.html It's 256gb and around $37.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks Alan. Hubby may buy what you did. Am wondering if I should get their small laptop with flip keyboard so I can load Photoshop Elements or a LR on it?
They're light, small enough to use as a tablet for me.....?
Ugh I hate shopping for tech stuff since I am so out of my element even tho I try to read about the devices. :{

We do use the phones as a hot spot when needed and LOVE that the phone mirrors to tv!!

I do all my editing on my desktop which has a calibratable monitor. Laptops aren't so good for that I don't believe. But if you need a more powerful computer for editing or other programs, then sure, get a laptop.

Most reactions

Back