Taking a good group selfie?

footballfan993

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tylerwarnecke.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi, so I'm celebrating my family Christmas with my family tomorrow and I am wondering what is a good way to take a group selfie, with myself in the shot. Should I use manual mode or set it up on automatic? My equipment is a canon rebel t5, I have a tripod, and reflectors I have a 50mm 1:1.8 II lens, and a 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II.

The background will most likely be a Christmas tree with LED lighting, and a couch against a large open back room, as well as by a fire place.

Are you asking about manual mode or manual focus?

Either way, if you are asking us it probably means you're not familiar with using it, and if that's the case, I'd say this isn't the time to practice. I'd go for auto. When you have a group of people waiting for you (especially if it includes children) it's not the time to be experimenting.

I usually set everything in manual when trying to get people and Christmas tree lights. An exposure for the ambient that shows the tree lights are on and enough flash to light the group but not knock out the tree lights.

As you want to be in the shot it is best to do some test shots the day before, people might give you a try for a second shot and then they are done posing.

If I can have the people a bit closer to the camera and the fireplace and tree in the background it is easier to put some flash on them and not affect the background so much. Sometimes a slow shutter speed (and have everyone hold fairly still) or slightly higher ISO will help. It will also depend on how much ambient light. I don't see how the reflectors will help by themselves, having an off camera flash or bouncing the flash can help.

Watch the DOF, with the 50mm at f/1.8 it is probably too shallow for a group shot and may not be wide enough. It could give some decent bokeh shots of say an upper body shot of a couple with the tree in the background.

I would use manual myself since in Auto, settings will change as the group changes and reflected light changes. Set up the camera on a tripod and get someone to stand where the group will be. Get your settings and look at a shot in the camera until it's what you want. I use the wireless remote for my Nikon but you can set the timer - jump in the shot and repeat a couple of times.

I don't think the T5 supports the IR remote trigger (Canon RC-6) so you'll probably need to use the 10-sec self-timer to give yourself time to get into the shot.

You can use manual, or you can use Av mode which expose for ambient light even if you add a flash.

I don't think the T5 supports the IR remote trigger (Canon RC-6) so you'll probably need to use the 10-sec self-timer to give yourself time to get into the shot.

or buy a $20 RF wireless remote for those "selfies"
better than IR !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back