Taking photo's at family events

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have given up trying to take photo's with my DSLR at family events. People seem afraid of my DSLR, but fire away with my phone and voila, that's fine. Go figure.

I think the best shots at family events such a birthdays etc are candids and a DSLR may not be the best tool for the job, I have an oldish Fugi Finepix which has a long optical zoom lens, it's fairly small and inconspicuous, the only drawback is it doesn't shoot RAW but that said I don't expect to take any award winners at a family event

People are nervous about the strange and unusual and these days large cameras are the strange and unusual.

Go figure. :)

We photography enthusiasts are in the minority. Most people do not understand what we do and why we do it. The average person on the street cannot see any difference between a photograph made with a $3-thousand dollar kit and a cell phone snap.

We photography enthusiasts are in the minority. Most people do not understand what we do and why we do it. The average person on the street cannot see any difference between a photograph made with a $3-thousand dollar kit and a cell phone snap.

This is sadly true. Such is the Instagram/Facebook age.

The flip side of family events
You are invited and everyone thinks they are a supper model and that you will spend the whole time taking photos
Which you will then print and mount for free.

Unless its a pro setup, I have been confronted by rent-a-cops and other assorted 'quasi-pro" people and told that I come across as a possible jihadist planning the next 9-11 type event.

or, worse.. that moms at soccer fields think I'm a pedo and get upset.

The irony is that the previously mentioned forms of lower than scum of the earth types would be the ones USING cell phones.

This aint the ol' camera in the briefcase issue.

I like bringing my press camera and flash where ever I go...:bouncingsmileys:

I was shooting a camera club project of store signs. A lady chased me down and wanted to know why I was taking her photo coming out of the bank.

It seems I can go into a bank with a mask on and ask for money; but I cannot take street photos without upsetting someone. These are strange times we live in.

Ron
Sign of the times
Here a year ago would have gone nuts if you went into a bank with a face cover
Now it’s the norm, and required

Most reactions

Back