Taking photos during heavy rain

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I was taking photos with my Zenit 12 xp, I never worried about the rain 'coz I knew nothing serious would happen to my camera, except of rust (kidding :p). But now I'm totaly afraid of my digi cam, because there is no mechanical things - only electronics. Do you have any special "clothes" for your cameras to take pics, during rain? Or how do you do it? I had a waterresistant Minolta but it was compact. I also tried with an umbrella but it is quite uncomfortable, especially when I'm alone and have noone to help me with holding it exactly above me.

No special clothes, but then again, I don't need them. I don't take pictures in the rain- period. Before rain. After rain. But not during rain simply because I don't like getting wet.

But that's just me.

When water gets into cameras or lens.... I smell trouble.

I don't know if the moisture will affect the negative inside the camera, but in long run, it will definitely affect the body.

Once I had my dad's binoculous hanging over my neck. I was at a beach, and I saw something in the water, so I bend over to pick it up, then before I realised it, it was touching the water. Although it was just split second, the moisture has seeped into the binoculous..... It will take a lot of money to fix it.

I have some cameras that I'll take in the rain, and others I won't. Most often when I'm out shooting in the rain I'm taking landscapes/cityscapes with my LF gear. I try to keep the lenses from the soak by keeping them in plastic bags until I need them, but I figure that the Speed Graphic body was built to take it. I just disassemble everything at home and let it dry out. For me the biggest problem is keeping the lens clear of rain drops; eventually I just give up.

I have no problem/hestitation to use my FM3A in a down-pour too.. just love this baby! 8) And my latest addition, Olympus Stylus Epic, too. :) Just got it as a back-up camera for the FM3A. Both are cool, IMHO. :)

I've got one of these

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/filmcamera/underwater/2/

I've never used it underwater, but I take it out on walks in the rain with my daughter. Soon she'll be old enough to take to the pool, and then I'll find out if it needs new gaskets :lol:

They go cheap on Ebay.

Edit: Oh yeah, and they look really James Bond. I always get comments when i'm carrying it around.

Most reactions

Back