Taking photos in bathrooms???

KonicaKyle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not a total weirdo or anything.

However whilst camping last week, we stayed on one particular campsite, whose toilets were housed in this beautiful old outbuilding. In the morning the sun came through a high window, and looked really against the rafters and numerous spiders webs in the ceiling.

I decided against bringing my camera in there, even if the place was empty... you never know when someone will walk in and get the wrong idea!

Anyone any experience of taking photos in "taboo" places?

in loo's you need to get permison of the owner to tempary close them or go in when there cleaning

LOL What a topic....but figures I'd have something to add.

I used to go to Gatlinburg, TN to do some candid style shots, it's a local tourist trap, right next to Pigeon Forge where Dollywood is located. I used to go there because being a tourist trap people were used to seeing cameras and I didn't feel so conspicuous. Still, I always prefer shooting alone because of the meditative qualities so I'd be walking the streets, sometimes buying an overpriced soft drink, and of course the inevitable would happen and I would have to pee. Being alone, I couldn't leave my camera outside the restrooms that were provided, and I felt really weird taking it in. At the time I was using a Konica Minolta Z2 so it drew some attention and remarks from strangers so before going into the restroom I always made sure to turn it off and put the lens cap on just so some paranoid person at the urinal next to mine wouldn't freak out that I was going to take a macro shot of his nether regions. And this annoyed me because I'd be in and out in 2 seconds, hardly seemed worth putting everything away just to take it back out again....the camera, I mean.

Bathwreck.jpg

Heres a pic I took in an old apartment building they tore down. Wish I could of gotten more, but they only left that part standing for the day.

KonicaKyle said:
Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not a total weirdo or anything.

Come on "mystery scribe" we all know you're an old perv, fancy hanging around toilets, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

I do remember many years ago having to shoot a series of toilets in a building, that the landlord wanted me to shoot to show the conditon that the tenants had left them in. I remember running in, shooting fast and furious, watching I didn't step in anything, and getting out poste haste. I didn't ask for permission [I wouldn't have got it]. I felt like a "paparazzi" in training.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant top you phil but i do remember shooting a koni o for the cops once. We were called to document a criminal neglect case. The toilet made me gag. But you can NEVER toss your cookies on a crime scene lol.

God I can't believe all the memories that get dredged up at the wrong times around here.

Seems to me that someone did a coffee table book on outhouses several years ago.

Shoot away! Just make sure it's empty.

LOL this thread has been an entertaining one. If it was me personally... I wouldn't make a big production out of it. I'd just plan out my shots, then go in ... lock the door ... shoot as quickly as possible and then get the heck out of Dodge. If anyone asks just say "Don't eat the seafood.".

For me, it's one of those "It's easier to beg forgiveness" situations. I've taken a lot of photos in public bathrooms, but every one of them was with just myself in there.

If I see an interesting urinal, I capture it to show everyone else.. I suppose I'm more interested than anyone I show it too.. People think I'm weird.

... and now so do we. Jk! :wink:

Luke_H said:
... If I see an interesting urinal, I capture it to show everyone else.. I suppose I'm more interested than anyone I show it too.. People think I'm weird.

Most reactions

Back