Taking photos in the rain.

MetroRuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I was taking photos of my son at sports day today and it was pouring rain. My A57 got fairly wet.
Is there a standard for wiping and drying a camera body and lens to mitigate mildew growth?

Thanks for your recommendations in advance.

I'd dab (not wipe) it down with a micro fiber or chamois, then use gentle warm air to get the water dried before it can work its way in. Gentle air, so as not to force it in with air pressure faster than the warm can dry it.

Thanks for the tips. They both sound great. I think that instead of rice i will use some of those silicon gel bags i saved up from electronics purchases. I think rice may have lot of dust.

Have a great weekend!!

Pick up some rain protection for your camera. While you can buy very high-end rain covers (for people who regularly have to shoot in areas where they regularly expect to get caught in the rain) there are also some VERY inexpensive rain covers that you can treat as disposable.

See: Amazon.com: OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve - 18-Inch (2-Pack): Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice!!
Thanks for the link.
Good prevent goes a long way.

Thanks for the tips. They both sound great. I think that instead of rice i will use some of those silicon gel bags i saved up from electronics purchases. I think rice may have lot of dust.
I always toss those into my camera bag...but I've heard that they are next to useless because they are so small and likely 'used up'. You can purchase better ones...and you can even dry them out to recharge them. desicant| B&H Photo Video

The main thing, is that you try not to put your gear away wet, and leave it all sealed up. Leave it out in the open, preferably in a dry environment. (I see that you're in BC...so that might be easier said than done ;) )

Several years ago, I was in the rain forests of Costa Rica, and while out on an excursion (with my DSLR, no camera bag) I was caught in a torrential downpour. The camera got absolutely soaked. The inside of the rear LCD was fogged up for almost a week. I took out the battery...but replaced it on the way back to base camp...and kept shooting. The camera didn't miss a beat and still works fine today. And this was a model that has little or no weather sealing to speak of.

So, while I don't recommend leaving these things out in the rain...they're not made of sugar, they won't melt (as my mother used to say to me).

I use a rain jacket it comes in pack that attached to the outside of my backpack. I bought the largest one that fits my 150-500 mm lens. It works well on most of my smaller lens also you just have some extra cloth to crumple up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back