Taking Photos in the Vatican

lkt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I will be going to Rome, Florence and Vatican for a week. I was wondering if anyone had any experience taking photos in these locations. I will be carrying:

Canon 30d
Canon 50mm prime lens f/1.8
Canon 28mm - 80mm
Canon 70-300 mm
Ball Head Tripod

I can really remember the apetures for the others from the top of my head. I was particularly intrested to get your opinions on how to take photographs of the Vatican stair case eg. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/magic_eye/8731449/), when there is no monopods or tripods allowed in the Vatican Musuem. Any advice will be much appreciated. Also I would appreiciate if anyone wants to suggest locations to take some night shots.

Thank you,

Lokesh

I was in Rome and the Vatican about 3 years ago. Beautiful place with lots of photography opportunities. One of my favorite locations was on top of St. Peters Bascillica.

stpeterssquare.jpg

You are pretty much free to photograph anywhere with the exception of inside the Sistene Chapel. Many places allow photography but will not allow flash. In those locations, you will need to up your ISO and bring a fast piece of glass like your 50mm so that you can get a decent shutter speed to negate the camera shake. You might look at getting one of those cheap small table top tripods. I don't think anyone would have a problem w/ that. It may be better than nothing.

Make sure you bring along PLENTY of batteries as it is very difficult to find them in Rome. When I went I had a battery charger that was supposed to be compliant but it blew up the first time I used it. I looked for days to find a replacement but never found a replacement for the power supply until we got back to Germany. Fortunately, I brought about 6 batteries which limited my shooting a bit.

I have a few pics on my site if you'd like to see. We went to Rome, Naples, Agrigento, and Siracusa. This trip was what first got me interested in photography. Unfortunately my skills (and my camera - sony mavica cd500) were pretty limited at that time. I'd love to go back now.

I have to agree with Johnboy.

Bring batteries, you'll allso need your tripod. The sistene chapel has restrictions agains photography. And lots of places in Rome have restrictions against flash guns. Your 50mm prime, will likely be your tool of choise in the vatican. Most places where the artwork is painted they will not allow flash photography, this is to preserve the paint. But don't worry, with the right setup, you'll get the photos you want to remember the lovely city that is Rome. (I'll be going back there some time next spring.)

Don't forget to drop a coin in to Fontana de Trevi.... It is sayed that if a traveler drops a coin in to that fountain, he/she will visit Rome again. =)

Have a lovely trip.

Most reactions

Back