I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is the situation. I want to get digital images of a bunch of photos to put into a slide show for my wedding. The quality does not have to be great....just good enough for projection onto a large screen.

I'm sure I could scan the prints, but the only scanner I have access to is fairly slow and I'd have to do it at work...which I might not have time to do. I was thinking that I could probably get decent results if I set up a make shift copy stand with my 20D. Once it's set up...I could digitize lots of photos in a fairly short time.

Has anyone tried this? My main concern is lighting. Obviously on-camera flash would be a bad idea...as it would cause reflections. I might even need to have the prints under glass to ensure that they are flat...which would add to the reflection problem. I might use an off camera source of light...but I'm not sure of that will make the prints look uneven. Maybe a couple of lights as in a small studio set up...maybe a light box type set up?

I want to do this as quick and easy as possible...otherwise I might as well scan them.

Any ideas?

Well...my boss uses that technique as you get better quality than with a scanner, next time I see him ill try and ask him :)

I haven't does that before but have you considered places like Costco or those kiosks you'd find at pharmacies/supermarkets?

It been a long time but I have done the copy stand approach before (sort of), us a tripod with a removable centre rod. Simple reversed rod so camera hung between the legs. And lighting was a problem. IMO you would need to shot in RAW and would need to edit all the shots in PS.

IMHO the easy way to go is to buy a new and better scanner

Thanks...I have been thinking of just getting a new scanner...they are pretty cheap these days.

Most reactions

Back