Taking photos of children at night outdoors

I'd set the shutter, aperture, and iso however it take to achieve the background you desire. I'd then shoot the flash on back curtain sync and ttl.

using tapatalk.

I think I'll take mostly photos of people still (I'll ask them to pose for me). it's my first time using this equipment so I want to get it right as it's for a little girl's birthday.

I'm sure the mom will be expecting some candids of the little princess at play with her friends. Those may be difficult to get at night!

I would save most the posed pics for all the moms with cell phones. The candid shots are what they wont be able to capture well.

Hi, thanks; all good advice. OK, I guess I'll have to try out a few things at the start before I decide what I can manage (I'm just learning still so this is a tough task).

I'm going to bring my external flash and use it off the camers but if I can't get good exposure I'll opt for the ezybox diffuser on camera. What do you think?

Also, what can I edit in post production? I'm wondering what I can realistically aim for in terms of lighting. Maybe I can fix some things after as long as the photos are moderately exposed and focused?

Yes, I'll try candid photos as much as I can (as long as I fix the lighting issue). I tried last night but the background was dark and when I tried bouncing the flash off a pillar the photo was a little bright.

Also, I have a white polystyrene board and I'll see if that helps bouncing light. I considered making my own white umbrella or using a tinfoil board but I have to choose because the party is in a few hours!

Lo camsQUOTE="astroNikon, post: 3597269, member: 154561"]You may find a shutter of 1/80 may give you motion blur from any movement of you, camera, subject.
To light up the background you need light - another light to light up the background.
but if you want the background in focus, you'll need a smaller aperture to increase your Depth of Field.. Which will require slower shutter speeds or higher ISO to compensate.

what you are finding out with your f/2.8 is depth of field ==> Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

personally, I wouldn't worry about the background as long as you get the main subject lite up properly and in focus with good clarity.[/QUOTE]
OK, thanks

And I have another question: what is the best lens? 50 mm or 70-200 mm?

And I have another question: what is the best lens? 50 mm or 70-200 mm?
Most of my casual shots are with my 18-55mm zoom.

I would love to tell you the longer zoom lens, but without seeing the space you have available, I don't know for sure. It really depends on how much physical space there is in the backyard, and how "cluttered" the yard will be with all the people entering your shot. And you'll be so far away from your subject, that it is going to be difficult to communicate with them effectively.

So with all that, I think the 50mm would be the one I'd use.

Take them both but I think you need something wider than 50.

Take them both but I think you need something wider than 50.
Thanks.

I'll try the flash off the camera and if I can't get it to work for me as I'd like I'll just have to diffuse on camera...

Thanks for your help

Most reactions

New Topics

Back