Taking photos of strangers.

All valid points. This can be a very polarized issue, depending on ones life experience. There is certainly no doubt someone would be within their rights to take photos, without permission, under these circumstances. KmH is absolutely correct that people do not have an expectation of privacy in a mall. And perhaps to someone who is adamant in getting these specific candid shots, the risk of encountering an angry parent or being asked to leave private property is a risk they're willing to take. Me, on the other hand, I pick my battles and would rather respect others concerns. There are certainly a huge number of amazing photos taken over the years that would not have been possible with permission, and I applaud those photographers for what they captured, but again, not my cup of tea. Having dealt with some incredibly bad people who appear as equally benign, I would rather respect those on the other end of my lens. This is probably one of many reasons I will never be a career photographer, but, I'm ok with that.

I don't know many parents that would let a random stranger, professional or not, just snap away pictures of their kids. Sure, it's a public place, so we have no expectation of privacy. But then, you're in a public place too, and there's no expectation that every time you lift your lens to shoot, my middle fingers not going to be in your line of sight.

It may be a little strange for the kids if they look up and see someone taking pictures of them. I'm sure that if you ask, they would be fine with it.

Just a quick note, this wasn't meant to be just about kids, but strangers in general. The kids at the mall was just one example situation.

Just a quick note, this wasn't meant to be just about kids, but strangers in general. The kids at the mall was just one example situation.

Got a bit off track, didn't we? :p

I am not very comfortable taking pictures of people period, even people I know. I am definitely not comfortable approaching strangers and asking to take their photo. That is why I'm forcing myself to try street photography...so I can get out of my comfort zone. On a recent trip to Savannah, I approached a couple of street performers and, after dropping a couple of bucks in their hat (or bucket), I asked if they minded if I took their photos. In each case, the were very agreeable. Once I dropped a little coin on them, I did not feel as awkward asking them. I know I would feel less comfortable approaching a random person (not a street performer) such as a homeless person or a pretty girl in an interesting location and asking them. I think part of my problem is that I am very self-aware of how I generally interact with people. I know that I can be somewhat intense (or even imposing, depending on who you ask) when I deal with people and I am very self-conscious about that when it comes to street photography. Again, it is something I'm working on, albeit at a slow pace. I am definitely not comfortable doing it without asking permission or, at least, offering an explanation.
Gonzo

I just start shooting, and since I'm not socially inept, I have no trouble striking up a conversation with the people if I'm going to be shooting multiple pics of them. If it's just a one off, I usually don't say anything, just snap and go.

Careful... classifying those that may be a little more empathetic of intruding on someone's privacy as "socially inept," might make you seem a little socially inept yourself. ;)

I would have a problem with someone (I don't know) taking shots of my children even if they asked, why! what are they going to do with those shots? sell them (no release) put them on their web site, or whatever, I don't know. I have often wanted to go out to the ball field and take shots of the players (action shots), but if I don't know anyone there I just pass.
I would have an issue with a stranger taking shots of me (without permission) and then using those shots for who knows what.

I do agree with the privacy thing though - if you are out in public you are fair game to anyone with a camera and most likely you have your picture taken (city) several times a day, form bank machines, street cameras and alike.

Eating at the mall is your first mistake.

Be conspicuous. Introduce your self to the (apparent) parents. Have a business card handy. Snap away until security approaches....................... you're on a privately owned piece of real estate. Their rules apply.

Did the server at the Chinese take away give you a cross look also?

funny how we actually talked about this in my photography class today. the thing is, people are way more likely to be okay with female photographers taking pictures of kids as opposed to male photographers. i guess it's just a cultural bias thing.

I just avoid the hassle and dont take pics of kids

Most reactions

Back