taking pics in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think every one that wants to discuss law, needs to take into consideration the simple fact that this is an international board... and what is legal in London is not legal in Dubai but again is legal in Canada, but totally illegal in the USA... lol

If you aren't going to state where you are from in the post, at least have the courtesy to have a location in your profile, that way we don't get into a "...is so!.. is not!" kinda situation.

Jerry is, of course, right with regards to the legal aspect of the matter - it changes from state to state and from country to country.

I don't think it really is legal matters that want to be discussed here, though, but the personal feeling each of us has when they are out in public places, happening to photograph strangers or even wanting to do so.

Some become quite intimidated (myself, too, I might add), others have the confidence to "be in the right, so what can the photographed person say?". I wish I were more daring what street photography is concerned (I only sometimes am, as some of my NYC pics show, but at the time I stepped out of my shoes quite a bit because I was a stranger).

Actually, I did photograph some people in town only on Tuesday morning, but that town is so old and pretty that people are used to tourists taking photos, which changes the situation somewhat.

Therefore I might suggest that those who want to "teach" themselves a little more confidence go to places where it is relatively "normal" that people take photos.

You cannot always FIRST go up to the people and ask them "May I take your photo, please?", for that'd ruin the very moment you want to capture. You need to get a feeling for the situation. Sometimes it feels alright to take the photo (like when I photographed the four guys eating ice-cream in Berlin, they were quite amused by the fact that someone directed her 300mm lens at them), and sometimes you have your doubts, like with that painter in Cowes on the Isle of Wight who was taking a break from work, sitting on the street in his painter's outfit, and I thought this would be a nice pic, I looked at him, ever so slightly lifted the camera, he shook his head equally slightly, I nodded --- and that was it. No photo. He very obviously didn't want to be photographed. I had to accept that.

I also remember the situation of the young oriental couple with their baby boy in the park who could only JUST about walk. He still staggered in the way toddlers do and looked really cute. I took his photo and they saw me take it and never either came closer or said anything to me or grabbed up the boy and left or anything ... so I took that as their silent agreement that they were ok with me taking a pic of their baby boy. I guess they even felt a little proud that a total stranger found their boy cute enough to be wanting to take his photo.

As you can see, the situation can vary a lot.

sometimes when people notice you are taking pictures of them on the street, they smile.

If you aren't going to state where you are from in the post, at least have the courtesy to have a location in your profile, that way we don't get into a "...is so!.. is not!" kinda situation.

You're right, sorry! I'm in AUstralia, though it's my understanding that my statement is correct for the majority of the 'western' nations.

I suppose another good thing to point out is that, as far as I'm aware, none of us are lawyers :wink:

LaFoto said:
You cannot always FIRST go up to the people and ask them "May I take your photo, please?", for that'd ruin the very moment you want to capture.
I Was watching a young lad, perhaps 8 or 9, busking in a mall, playing the violin. It was raining (He was undercover, but everything was pretty wet and dreery) and he was wearing a bright yellow jacket, with the hood up over his head. I Saw his mother watching him from maybe 5 metres away. I dropped a few coins in, and looked at the mother, raising the camera - She nodded, then came over, lowered his hood, straightened his collar, and made him look at the camera! Exactly what I DIDN'T want! I Took a couple of snaps anyway, but because they were posed, they just looked like family happysnaps, and didn't capture what I originally wanted.

(Oh, This wet, cold downpour was in the middle of summer, and supposedly a drought... Stupid weather, go figure...)

this is byfar the most helpful, and informing forum i have been on.
thanks for all of your input, answered the questions i had.

when speaking of taking pictures of children, im more or less meaning places like a mall, or highly trafficked area. i couldnt snap a pic of someone at their home, people here would think they are being stalked.

i go downtown, and we have this big ass mall (Opry Mills) that is useless for shopping bc all of the stores are overpriced (considering you can go into the same store at another mall and get the same thing cheaper). but there are a lot of tourists and locals that go there to walk around, and see this place that was once a nice amusement park. lol.

but there are a lot of ops for an interesting photo or two, and am always nervous that the subject would get pissed and try to make a big deal of it.

I would not have probs if someone took my picture while I was walking down the street, or somewhere in public.

But I feel awkward about taking picture of other people in public. There is no way for me to tell how others feel about "their privacy". Not much privacy out on streets, but it is still a picture of them.

I guess I would not have problem with using a wide angle and taking picture of landscape/buildings - people that happen to be "there" are not the focus of picture.

Okay, life works in funny ways. My friend (female) was waiting for the subway train and she noticed someone with a P&S taking pics. She didn't pay much attention at first, but she realized that he kept walking behind women and aiming the camera at their butts, then walking off and apparently reviewing his shots, then going back for more!!! He came over to her and she didn't know how to react. I'd say that's harassment, but it's so strange any way you look at it. I said she should'a smacked him silly, but man, I just can't get over it, I mean I guess this is part of where some people's fears come from? I hate stuff like this, it's just ridiculous. :madmad:

I thought this was kind of relevent... how NOT to take pictures of people in public...

hahaha, i would really expect to be punched if i were doing that kinda crap. thats not photography, thats just perversion.
no, i wouldnt be taking that kinda crap.

Manhattan is the best place to photograph people. I can snap away without
to many people taking notice.If there is somebody specifc that interests me,
I just ask them. I had business owner yell at me once for taking images of
the front of his restaurant.

Hey, I try to be respectful of everyone. I admit to being a little nervous
taking the children images of strangers though.

Gotta question my picture was used from last years home opener of the jays in the paper and now my face is on the ticket for the third opener game should I take legal action to get free tickets or something cuz I was smash case when photo was taken so voids anything I would have signed and didn't see anything on back of jays tickets........

I hate street photos that look like nothing except a bunch of people on the street.

If you shoot street, shoot quality.

I don't. I wouldn't purposefully take pictures of someone I don't know specifically. The professionals can come here and bark all the "photographer's rights" BS all they want, I think it is rude, inconsiderate, and disrespectful. You have no idea how that person may feel if they had known. Especially with children. Yes, children can make some fantastic shots, but think about how the parents feel when they catch some stranger taking pictures of their little girl with something like a dSLR. Then think about how the parents might feel searching for something on google images and finding their little girl's picture on the internet.

I think you need to get a life, what does it matter if someone has taken your photo, i sorry but when im shooting on the streets i couldnt give a toss what people think

Thread locked:

Lauralegz - its great to see people using search to find older references, but if you have a new question please do make a new thread instead of bumping one from way back in 2008. A new thread with your post first will let people be able to focus upon your topic instead of rehashing the old one at the start of the resurrected thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back