Taking pictures in a flying helicopter...?

haring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do you know how to take pictures of people in a flying helicopter? Have you ever done it?
I am thinking about putting my camera on the helicopter's cockpit and I would like to trigger it via a remote. This way I would be able to take take the photos while the pilot is flying the chopper.
The question is how to set up the camera so it is stable on the cockpit...?
I was thinking about using a powerful suction cup camera mount. Something like this: Gripper Midi 498 - The Filmtools 3/8 6" Suction-Cup Camera Mount
Any thoughts? Have you ever done something similar?

Thanks!

I'm assuming (hoping) this is going on the inside of the cockpit? If so i have never done it, but your setup sounds pretty good. This makes sure there's no obstruction in your view, unlike flying in a single engine plane! TONS of obstructions there. Also, some choppers hav a window on the bottom, but i bet the pilot wouldn't want it there

To make it clear, it will be a wedding. The groom will be flying to the wedding venue in a helicopter and I want him to sit next to the pilot. I want to capture the moment when we take off and the groom and all the groomsmen are scared a little bit...

Open the door and shoot? :p make sure your harnest is solid!

Helicopters vibrate, a lot.

Most photographers that do arerial photography use a special mount.

To make it clear, it will be a wedding. The groom will be flying to the wedding venue in a helicopter and I want him to sit next to the pilot. I want to capture the moment when we take off and the groom and all the groomsmen are scared a little bit...

Give a camera to the groom... one that's easy to use (program mode) and has image stabilization. Make sure he puts the strap around his neck. The window should be open or off.

-Pete

I think what is wanted are photos of the groom and groomsmen while they are inside the helicopter. Said photos to be taken from inside the helicopter.

If that is the case then the problem is not easily solved.

- The space in the helicopter could be a bit small. There is not a lot of room between the plexiglass and the front seat passenger. That will mean a fairly wide angle lens which is not that flattering to people up close.

- How to mount the camera could be a problem. The law will not allow you to attach anything to the airframe, inside or outside, without an airframe engineer's signature on the certification procedure. The plexiglass is usually curved so those suction cup mounts might not work very well and I doubt the pilot will want you to put anything anywhere that might obstruct his field of vision.

Ask the groom to hold a point and shoot at arm's length and click away. Hey, it works for facebook! (just kidding of course)

How about a short series showing the men getting their safety pointers from the pilot then lining up to get in and finally a few exposures from outside as the craft is lifting off. If you position yourself right you might get lucky and not get too many reflections from the plexiglass. If you can, an assistant could be at the landing site to photograph the aircraft as it is about to land and to get some images as the guys are exiting and generally congratulating themselves for having survived the undoubtedly perilous journey.

I think what is wanted are photos of the groom and groomsmen while they are inside the helicopter. Said photos to be taken from inside the helicopter.

If that is the case then the problem is not easily solved.

- The space in the helicopter could be a bit small. There is not a lot of room between the plexiglass and the front seat passenger. That will mean a fairly wide angle lens which is not that flattering to people up close.

- How to mount the camera could be a problem. The law will not allow you to attach anything to the airframe, inside or outside, without an airframe engineer's signature on the certification procedure. The plexiglass is usually curved so those suction cup mounts might not work very well and I doubt the pilot will want you to put anything anywhere that might obstruct his field of vision.

Ask the groom to hold a point and shoot at arm's length and click away. Hey, it works for facebook! (just kidding of course)

How about a short series showing the men getting their safety pointers from the pilot then lining up to get in and finally a few exposures from outside as the craft is lifting off. If you position yourself right you might get lucky and not get too many reflections from the plexiglass. If you can, an assistant could be at the landing site to photograph the aircraft as it is about to land and to get some images as the guys are exiting and generally congratulating themselves for having survived the undoubtedly perilous journey.

Thanks a lot! Patrice, you ROCK!

Most reactions

Back