Taking Pictures in Very Low Light - Help?

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys, what's the trick to taking pictures in very low light conditions? I'm not saying that the ones I take are low quality, I'm saying the camera refuses to take the picture. I realize that my D90 needs some amount of light to focus. I also realize that if the camera determines that there is not adequate light, it will not take the shot.

So, is there a work around?

Here was the set-up last night:
Dark, remote area. No lights at all. Wanted to use my off camera flash on a stand, with radio trigger, to take picture of waterfall in the dark. I tried using the focus illumination light (which I usually keep turned off), but it did not help. Finally, the only way I could get it to work was to shine a large flashlight directly at the waterfall, and focus on that spot. That worked, but the color from the flashlight and the light from the flash were different colors, so the result was less than desirable. Shot had large yelow spot in center.

That got me to thinking, if I were trying to do a picture of lightning and had my camera on tripod, on Bulb setting, and pressed the shutter, would it work? Would there be enough light for the camera to open the shutter at all?

And the shots I've seen on here of "painting with light". Those are in a dark room. Based on what I expereienced last night, there would have to be some amount of light in the room before the flashlight was turned on, in order for the camera to begin the exposure.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks!

If there isn't enough ambient light for the camera to AF, or the subject os too far away for the Nikon AF assist light, you need to focus manually.

It's that simple.

if you doing lightning just focus on infinity.

One thing Ive noticed with the autofocus of the D90 it works better in low light at higher ISO's. you may be able to crank up the iso, focus, when you get a lock switch to manuel focus and return your iso to the desired setting

Use AF with flashlight. Turn off flashlight. Switch to MF. Take picture. :sexywink:

If you can change button settings on the D90, use back button focus and deactivate the half-shutter focus, so as long as you let off of the back button with your thumb, no need to switch to MF cause the camera will stop focusing. Focus using the flashlight, release back focus button, turn off flashlight, fire shutter.

If you put the camera in manual mode the shutter should trip every time you push the shutter release no matter how much or how little light there is.

the only way I could get it to work was to shine a large flashlight directly at the waterfall, and focus on that spot. That worked, but the color from the flashlight and the light from the flash were different colors, so the result was less than desirable. Shot had large yelow spot in center.
Turn the flashlight OFF before you take the picture...

Use it to assist in focusing, then once you have the lens focused there's no reason to leave it on.

Thanks Guys. I had the camera mode in manual, but not the focus. It was still on AF.

Sounds like manual focus is the solution.

I appreciate the help!

Sounds like manual focus is the solution.
'Back button focusing' works great for stuff like that too.

You can assign AF to a button other than the shutter release so that when you half-press the shutter release for metering, the focus stays on whatever you had it on.

That makes switching the lens to MF completely unnecessary.

Then AF assist light on the camera is only effective for a few feet.

You did the right thing by shining a much stronger flashlight onto the waterfall.

Once focused using the autofocus system, then put the camera in manual focus - so it doesn't re-focus.

The auto focus system works by detecting contrast. When light levels are low, so is contrast.

Most reactions

Back