Taking Pictures of a Room

crowl31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My father does custom furniture and I would like to shoot some of his work after it has been installed in the clients home.

My question is do they make a lens that can capture the entire room so when you see the pictures it gives you a senes of the actual size of the room/furniture piece. I was thinking some type of wide angle lens.

Thanks!

wide angle... yes! they make them as low as an 8mm (I believe) but if you can find a good lens in the 10-20mm range, that'll be great.

10-20 on a crop sensor, 16-35 on full frame / 35mm film.

not enough to get the whole room sometimes, but very useful for indoors.

with that wide angles, you will need to spend some time thinking about perspectives and composition though.

10-20 on a crop sensor

What is a crop sensor?

I have a Canon XTI, is there a lens you would recomend? Are wide angle lenses expensive?

What is a crop sensor?

I have a Canon XTI, is there a lens you would recomend? Are wide angle lenses expensive?

an XTI (as most current dSLRs) has a sensor smaller than 35mm film. this is often referred to as "crop", with a "crop factor" of 1.6. this means since the sensor is smaller, with the same lens the angle of view is smaller.

A 10mm lens on a 1.6 crop sensor has the same angle of view as a 1.6 x 10mm = 16mm lens on 35mm film.

not sure how expensive the ultrawide angle lenses are. I have a 17-40mm lens since I shoot 35mm filnm and full frame digital. You would most likely need a wider lens.

Thanks Alex.

The same lens I would use for the room shots would also be great for landscapes as well, right?

for wide angle landscape work, yes

i use wide angle in the mountains sometimes. and for panoramas in general.

Check out Canon, Sigma, and Tamron, etc.. Use the B&H link at the top right of this page. Read the reviews(with a grain of salt of course) than post any specific lens questions in the "Equipment" forum. There are always a few people who own the lens and can offer advice and post sample pics.

-Ryan

Most reactions

Back